help me build a sump :)

turanevins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cracked the middle baffle in my acrylic sump, and have a 30" long 29 gallon glass tank Id like to turn into sump, rather than fixing the piece of junk I have now. However Ive spent days scavenging the internet and came across too many different design ideas! I think I like one then I see another one then I question if either of them would be practical for me so here it is. -The tank is 30" long 12" wide 18" tall. I want 4 chambers. the first to be 6" wide for a filter sock and skimmer, the next 10" wide for my refuge, then 6" again for bioballs ( I know most disagree, but I love mine!) and the next 6" wide for my main pump and reactor pump. I have that part figured out now with that being said Im stuck at baffles and which ones control the water level in each chamber. I want something relatively simple. I also don't know what depth would be ideal in each section. the skimmer I want to get can skim in 10" of water and I as thinking 10" deep in the front where the sock and skimmer is and 8" deep everywhere else, and since the tank is 18" tall I wouldn't have to worry about emergency flooding, but I don't know. so Im asking for help I need a good, simple, working 4 chamber sump design please. Mainly need emphasis on baffle placement and measures. And any good diy filter sock holders would be great too! This what I have to work with -3x 12" by 9" acrylic pieces 2 x 12"x4" acrylic pieces and egg crate. Also what's the best type of silicone get? Thanks!

OP
OP
turanevins

turanevins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also thinking of putting egg crate between the refuge and bio balls instead of a baffle * if I decided to do live rock only not sand, would that be a good idea? or no

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back