stands

baadbay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see a lot of 2Xwhatever stands i would like to see plywood only stands i know there out there and there a lot that will bash them but they work and i like to see some new ideas i have MTS so im always lookin 4 new idea to do with them as my other hobby it wood working and love to build stuff

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't trust a plywood only stand, and I don't see why you would need to since it isn't that expensive to make a frame.

This is what I use for the frame of my stands. You can't get much stronger than this design unless you go with steel. Adding some angles in the corners will make the build more rigid.

DIY Stands Template and Calculator - Reef Central Online Community

After that, skin it with plywood (I like the Oak Veneer Plywood from Menards), add doors, trim, and then stain and seal it if you like.

Last edited:
OP
OP
baadbay

baadbay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just looking 4 plywood stands not use 2by what ever i know that 2by4 and 2x6 stand a strong just the take up to much room and are to heavy ive built them many times but if u want to put a 4ft tank under a 5 foot tank there is no room to move

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Im not familiar with building a plywood only stand, so maybe someone else will chime in.

You may want to look into a steel stand. It's stronger than any wood stand and it leaves more room for tanks and filtration below. You can also build a plywood skin that slides away from the steel frame so you can have access to your equipment from any angle. Just something to consider. ;)

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it would be next to impossible to make a plywood only stand be strong enough to hold any type of tank without bracing. Even if you double up the sheets on the sides you still would get a wobble and more than likely a tank falling. If anything use 1x's to make a smaller support frame if space underneath is very important to you.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best stands are welded structure frames, period. Especially when you're dealing with any sort of real volume. Little more expensive to build for sure, but not too much more. Why skimp on such a critical component? A steel frame is cleaner looking and the peace of mind in terms of support is priceless. I had mine welded, powdercoated, and then had R2R member/ master craftsman Clearwater finish off the woodwork.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

djtripoalo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a150 001.jpg
this is a plywood stank under my 150 with a 70gl sump

Lol no that's on the outside not what it's entirely made of, plywood would not be able to support the weight of 150 tank. If you're trying to make a tank stand with JUST plywood you need to how much weight and type of plywood you're gonna use. Regular old 1/2 plywood is not going to support much weight and would just collapse

djtripoalo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but your stand is beefed up your tank looks like its recessed in the tank how thick is the plywood?

djtripoalo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If built right than maybe but idk how much I would trust it but I do agree a lot of people over build their stands. I mean if they still make stands out of particle board than I guess anything will just about work haha

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at kitchen cabinets, holding dishes, pots, pans, sinks and even people sitting on them. How many 2 x4 supports will you find in high quality cabinets.? Plywood is plenty strong to support a tank. Steel is certainly an option. Maybe you should have your cabinets and closets reinforced with steel just to be safe. Put steel beams under your bath tub!

djtripoalo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at kitchen cabinets, holding dishes, pots, pans, sinks and even people sitting on them. How many 2 x4 supports will you find in high quality cabinets.? Plywood is plenty strong to support a tank. Steel is certainly an option. Maybe you should have your cabinets and closets reinforced with steel just to be safe. Put steel beams under your bath tub!

It's not really about what is made out of windy it's about how it's made. These stands have thousands of dollars invested in the engineering and designing process. And in a residential home your floors are made out of 2x6 studs 16" on center. Which happens to support your bathtub, also if the tube is set right there should be a thin layer of concrete to support the bottom of your tub. I'm a plumber by trade and work for a commercial plumbing company [emoji6]

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a retired mechanical engineer and was in residential construction for years. What we have in many cases is over-engineered toys. A simple plywood stand will easily handle 200 gal.

By the way floor joist are never 2 x 6. Usually 2 x 12, but just to be sure you could always make steel supports to be sure they don't collapse.

Feel free to build your stands any way you wish, but some of the opinions here are not based on anything.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back