Barbed connection just can't take the pressure!

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get under and get a good picture but...

My 90 reef ready tank came with barbed bulkheads. I've got everything plumbed with tubing and have hose clamps over the connections. The clamp is tight and the hose seems snug- but must not be enough. I have a slow leak between the hose and the barbs when the return pump is on for more than a couple minutes. Due to height issues, I've filling the sump return area and then pumping the water from the sump up to the display to fill. I've almost got the display filled now. The water slowly leaks when the pump is on for more than a few minutes. The bulkhead itself isn't leaking, I can see the water coming out of the top of the hose. My pump is a DCT4000 running on the lowest setting.

I'm looking for a good, easy to do fix. (I know this isn't the 'other forum' but do know that I am aware of slip bulkheads and PVC plumbing, just not what I've got to work with here. Since the tank manufacturer included the barbed fittings, I'm wary of ordering another bulkhead that may not fit the hole properly) I had barbed fittings on my previous set up with no issues...

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got everything plumbed with tubing and have hose clamps over the connections. The clamp is tight and the hose seems snug- but must not be enough.

:) Yes, I am.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the right size tubing. If it's the right size it should be pretty difficult to get it over the barb.

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I brought the fitting with me when I bought the tubing to make sure it was the right size. I had to put the tubing on the bulkhead first and then thread the whole thing through the hole or I wouldn't have been able to get the tubing on from under the stand...

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty odd than. Might just try redoing it. U can take the tubing and put it in real hot water to make it easier to get back onto the barb. I have no answer to why. Look for any damage to the barb or defects.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hose that you are using may not be compressed enough to seal causing the leak. What type of hose are you using. If the material is too stiff it will not seal on a barb fitting. This is from 41 years of Industrial Maintenance experience.:) I have made up way to many water hoses in my years of working at a food manufacture. :)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally would unthread the barbs from the bulkhead and add a male adapter --> slip so you can hard plumb it.

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, its not a threaded --> barbed adapter on the bulkhead, its a single piece. Tomorrow is a snow/ice day, so looks like I'll have time to work on it if I can get anywhere...my washer machine drain hose is leaking now too...

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, its not a threaded --> barbed adapter on the bulkhead, its a single piece.
Interesting, haven't seen that before. If you contact tank supplier they can provide you with brand/model of bulkhead where you can find size of bulkhead. Either that or remove it and measure yourself, then replace. I'm not one to soft plumb anything though, so my mind immediately moves away from that.

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I wasn't expecting this kind of bulkhead either. You'd think they would at least suggest hose or have their own to use, but no such luck. LFS i ordered the tank through wasn't too helpful either...

jhoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it will help but............I would get a ceramic coffee cup fill it with water then microwave it for two minutes. Then soak the end of the hose until it get soft then jam it on the barb and clamp it. Gets easy to work with when hot.

Hoop

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*sigh* after more internet poking, it seems this is a common issue with this brand. Safest option seems to be to order new bulkheads...then I can hardline my plumbing too. Better to do now, I guess. Fish have been in limbo for almost 6 weeks now, what's a few more days?

fanandy8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I've done before on barbed fittings that leak put two hose clamps on with the screw that you tighten 180° from each other. I think that sometimes where the screw is doesn't compress enough and it leaks under that area, that way when you use two the path the water would take gets blocked. I hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I've done before on barbed fittings that leak put two hose clamps on with the screw that you tighten 180° from each other. I think that sometimes where the screw is doesn't compress enough and it leaks under that area, that way when you use two the path the water would take gets blocked. I hope that makes sense.

I tried setting that up last night, but the barbed portion isn't long enough to fit two hose clamps to fit properly. (Seriously, these bulkheads are weird.) I ordered slip x slip bulkheads today (and unions and 45 degree elbows) and I'll hard plumb once those are in at the end of the week. I decided it's just not worth the risk of a future leak.

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'd really like to do in the meantime is move my corals and fish out of their lil temporary tank and into the display... Patience. Patience. Patience.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If if you are going to PVC I would use thread x thread bulkheads and male adapters. It is much easier to disassemble and work on or change in the future than having to cut apart and throw away because it is glued solid.
This may help or give you ideas if you have not already read it:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/eq...iltration/34973-installing-bulkhead-tips.html

I use thread x barbed nipples on both my overflow and return and have never had one leak yet. I soak the braided vinyl reinforced tubing in hot water before slipping it on the barb and it molds right to it.

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got unions so I can take apart to clean/modify in the future. I also used barbed connections on my previous tanks...this brand just seems to have problems with their included bulkheads.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half of the union will be glued in the bulkhead so you still end up cutting something apart. With a threaded bulkhead you screw a nipple or male adapter into the bulkhead so everything disassembles and nothing has to be cut or thrown away.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back