Sump build- check my work

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First attempt at sump build. Preliminary ideas. Please critique before Make a mistake.

75 g tank with a single 1" hang on back overflow.

20g long sump

First section : drain pipe, filter sock, skimmer, room for media pouches when needed.

3 pane bubble reducing panel

Second section : rubble rock, chaeto, heater, probes, hob phosban reactor driven by small in sump maxjet.

3 pane bubble reducing panel

Third section: return pump (mag 9.5).

Return pipe will have a ball valve to taper down the mag 9.5 to about 3/4 power or whatever works with drain pipe volume (I figured about 600 gph for a single 1" drainpipe).

Anything I'm missing? Please let me know. Appreciate any feedback.

mckwestla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great. What are your dimensions? I am doing the same in one on my 20g long tank I just picked up for my 80 gallon dt

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look to see if you could trade out the HOB overflow with an internal overflow.....Glass-Holes comes to mind. With an HOB, you will have floods.

With your sump design, it's fine with the exception of the bubble traps...no need for two....one is more than enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is 30 x 12 x 12 of course. But have to size up my skimmer and return. My goal it to have just enough room for these in section 1 and 3 and maximize section 2

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks on the bubble trap. I wondered about that. So just a single pane between the fuge and return pump section. You think?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank in not drill able, so internal is out

How do you know this? Did you test for tempered glass? With Glass-Holes, the hole(s) are through the side glass.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still test the glass. I have an AGA tank that has a similar label. When tested, it was only the bottom glass that was tempered. Do the test...it's easy and you'll know within minutes.

mckwestla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is 30 x 12 x 12 of course. But have to size up my skimmer and return. My goal it to have just enough room for these in section 1 and 3 and maximize section 2

How far apart your baffles and bubble traps

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mck- good question. I was thinking 3/4". I think I read that somewhere. Any suggestions on the best distance between baffles?

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 75g bowfront. Not sure if the bowfront makes a difference whether tempered or not. I heard you can look at the glass with 3d glasses to check. But I am not up to cutting holes anyways. I am pretty set on external for now.

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two q's. How do I determine height of water level on the sump?

Also, my skimmer works "best" at 8", do I just make my first baffle wall like 9 1/2". And what if that's higher than my minimum water level? Ahhh

lemonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two q's. How do I determine height of water level on the sump?

Also, my skimmer works "best" at 8", do I just make my first baffle wall like 9 1/2". And what if that's higher than my minimum water level? Ahhh

I usually make it about less than 1/2 the height for the "overhead" (the water that returns back o the sump hen the return pump is turned off).

I would make the 1st baffle @ 8" since your skimmer is @ 8". Any higher and you will have to raise the skimmer and since you might be pressed for room, just use two baffles before the return, the first baffle is "under" and the last one "over" and for spacing no less than 1/2" between baffles - more toward 3/4" or 1". So work what I call working volume, (the height of the tallest baffle @ 8" you will have 12.5gals and about 7.5 gals for the overhead ( when you turn off the return pump) You need this to keep he water off the floor.

HTH

Helenareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built a 20 long sump and made one mistake. Make sure you make the return pump section pretty large. Mine is only 5 inches wide and it should have been larger. I have a ATO so I am not too worried about it running dry, but it gets low without the top off.

SUMP11.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back