Loud sump drain help

jbrooks515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just got my new sump installed and the drain going into the sump is very loud. Using the glass holes overflow into the proflex sump model 1. The plumbing is sketchy I know, but it's how I had to do it to to get around the shelf. The problem is with the standpipe there is loud fizzing kind of from all the bubbles going into the sump. When I remove the standpipe it has a loud deep gurgle every few seconds. Do I need to add a small airline in the top of the white 90 to relieve some air to make it quieter? Any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 257

eww

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure glass holes kits don't come with standpipes. They come with a 90 degree elbow for on the back of the bulkhead out the back of the tank. The elbow has a hole drilled in it and it supposed to have a little piece of black tubing that fits in the hole for an air vent. They also recommend never making the drain tubing any smaller than the elbow fitting it comes with and as few turns as possible for smooth quiet flow. Your 90 at the end may be causing enough restriction that it is not functioning properly.

OP
OP
J

jbrooks515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I meant the pipe coming out of the 90 that's not in the pic. Had to take it out and put the foam in to quiet it down. the sump came with the 1 inch drain so I figured it wouldn't hurt it reducing the drain to make it fit... Might have been wrong. I'm wondering if the swag in the line is causing the air to get trapped in the line causing the gurgling?

eww

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Just trying to help because most people think little things won't effect flow very much (I did as well early on) but with flow little things can make huge differences. Here is what glass holes has published on their site within their instructions...

This plumbing should consist of the minimum of fittingsneeded, and no valves, or fittings smaller than the pipe sizeof the kit you purchased. If you have a nano series kit, thiswould be 1” PVC plumbing all the way to the sump, for 700and 1500, this is 1 1/2”, and for the 3000 kits, this is 2”plumbing. Do not combine dual drains. Avoid longhorizontal pipe runs. Do not use insert (barb) adaptors inthe elbows. Do not use anything other than PVC pipe orUltraFlex PVC pipe. The kits will not work properly withsmaller or restricted plumbing!!!!

eww

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if the noise is from the bubbles coming out of the pipe underwater in the sump then you can build a simple bubble tower around it to disperse the bubbles quicker, allow the water to flow out the bottom and not lead to the hot tub sound all the time. Letting the water fall like you are without the extended tube will just cause lots of noise and the splatter of water, even with the sponge, will get everywhere, eventually causing problems.

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the photo you posted looks like your missing a part. where you have the spong should be a pipe that runs below the water line into a cylinder. Also the wall between needs to be up all the way. Give it a day or so and let it work out the noise on its own. Mine is always a little noisy after I do a water change. But then it seems to work itself out

Last edited:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe attach a longer hose where the water has to drain upward like a trap under the sink?

OP
OP
J

jbrooks515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I had that pipe installed it's just disconnected. That's what I called the standpipe. When it's on and running under the water line the bubble noise is awful. When I take it off like in the pic it's much quiter but it does a loud gurgle every few seconds. This is in the living room so I want it quiet. Thinking of redoing the plumbing to get a straighter path into the sump to see if that helps. The wall just hasn't been pulled up yet as I keep messing with the drain. Other than this one problem everything else is silent.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back