Upgrading: Custom Drilling Tank and Need Some Opinions and Info

AUfishguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading from my 55 gallon to either a 90 or 125 gallon tank and am considering drilling my own tank. i have a couple of questions about the placement and the actual drilling and would appreciate any info or experiences in this area.

Question A: I want to drill a 2" hole on each side of the tank on the back but have seen a couple of different things. The most common thing im seeing are the boxes that are on the inside of the tank. But I have also seen just 90 degree pieces of PVC facing upwards like in the picture below. I like this because there isnt a large box on the tank but i am wondering why i am seeing the box being used more. Is there any large con to doing it this way? I was originally just going to do 1" but i had someone say that would be enough for a 90 or a 125, is this true?

tank pic.jpg

tnak pic 2.jpg

Question B: I have been reading about drilling, is it really that easy. Are there any tips i should know about? I have never drilled glass so i was going to practice on a couple of 10 gallon tanks i have laying around.

Question C: I was considering getting a marineland 125 as they are having a sale right now but i have heard that I should stay away from them. is this true, if so why?

TIA

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. I prefer the pvc pipe straight to the sump, leave more room easier to aquascape.

B. Drilling is very easy, really easy...go (gl*******s.com ) they have everything you need, even templates to use. No need for putty dams.

C. I have had 2 friends that had the exact tank and they had leak issues, and stand quality is so..so.

It's you get what you pay for..

You should also look at the many videos clips on YouTube on the tank hole drilling. ...

lemonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading from my 55 gallon to either a 90 or 125 gallon tank and am considering drilling my own tank. i have a couple of questions about the placement and the actual drilling and would appreciate any info or experiences in this area.

Question A: I want to drill a 2" hole on each side of the tank on the back but have seen a couple of different things. The most common thing im seeing are the boxes that are on the inside of the tank. But I have also seen just 90 degree pieces of PVC facing upwards like in the picture below. I like this because there isnt a large box on the tank but i am wondering why i am seeing the box being used more. Is there any large con to doing it this way? I was originally just going to do 1" but i had someone say that would be enough for a 90 or a 125, is this true?

I'd go with a overflow box instead of the pvc pipe alone, more surface "skimming"

tank pic.jpg

tnak pic 2.jpg

Question B: I have been reading about drilling, is it really that easy. Are there any tips i should know about? I have never drilled glass so i was going to practice on a couple of 10 gallon tanks i have laying around.

Drilling is easy with a diamond hole saw or the getto method

Question C: I was considering getting a marineland 125 as they are having a sale right now but i have heard that I should stay away from them. is this true, if so why?

TIA

hth

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Glass-Holes kit. You get everything, including the drill bit. For a 90 -125 gallon DT, I'd suggest the 1500 kit. You won't be disappointed.

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Glass-Holes kit. You get everything, including the drill bit. For a 90 -125 gallon DT, I'd suggest the 1500 kit. You won't be disappointed.

I added one of those to my 90g a couple of months ago. Really easy to install, doesn't take much space up and works great.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question about just using up-turned 90s. They will make allot of noise because of the air that will mix in with the water. They have very little surface area, so they won't skim the surface very well, which is where all the proteins your protein skimmer needs to process will be. Ideally you want an overflow that runs nearly the entire length of the tank and is smooth, so the water flows over in a very thin sheet. Nobody really makes one like that right now. Why, I don't know. I imagine they are expensive to manufacture, but the fact is you either need to find a small acrylic guy like Turbo R Floyd to make you one, or build one yourself. One of the glass-holes would be my second choice. If you're in a hurry or don't really like DIY, then glass-holes would be choice.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two 72G tanks due to a leak in the first one. I was going to practice on the leaking tank but last minute got cocky and went for it on my 3 month old tank. Cracked it. :doh: I ended up resealing my old one and drilled that one just fine. If you have a spare tank you plan to use as a sump or something id say practice. I didn't notice but I was applying pressure when I was drilling the first tank. It takes a LOOOOONG time to drill a tank and with a heavy drill your arm gets tired and you don't notice you are applying pressure.

I also got the Glass-holes kit and Love it.

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cordless hand held screwdriver, and only the weight of it is used to drill the glass, NO additional pressure should be applied. With a new saw bit I drilled 3 holds in 3/8" thick glass in less than 5 min.....

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. I didn't notice but I was applying pressure when I was drilling the first tank. It takes a LOOOOONG time to drill a tank and with a heavy drill your arm gets tired and you don't notice you are applying pressure.

Like most DIY jobs having the correct tools helps a lot. I have a Milwaukee cordless drill, and it has lots of power and great clutch which gives you good control. I did the holes in my 90g in about a minute per hole.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I watched video after video and they all stressed slow and no pressure just that of the drill. I had brand new bits from glass-holes and a Ryobi 18V Cordless and it still took me (At least what it felt) forever. Just saying, If The OP has a spare tank they don't mind scrapping it wont hurt.

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go at a decent speed but no pressure, and slowdown when I first break through. You don't drill holes in glass you grind them. The main thing is removing the heat with a steady stream of water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back