Perfecting a biocube 29 lighting

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine is trying to upgrade his stock lighting. I think mixing pc and led is the way to go. We could squeeze a couple strips in along with the pc. Any recommendations? He looked at the rapid led kit but, I think it might be too bright. Lps would be the most demanding in this tank. If adding strips of blue, would it be beneficial to run 2 10k pc and ditch the actinic?

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the rapidled retro kit and doubt you could add pc lights to that. You might be able to get some of the strip led lights to fit not sure. Your best bet is to take the lens off the hood and see how much room you have. Marine depot has a few led strip lights that might work for you. I mainly changed to leds because of the heat problems the stock pc's were causing me and who doesn't like to be able to have enough light for anything you want.
A friend of mine is trying to upgrade his stock lighting. I think mixing pc and led is the way to go. We could squeeze a couple strips in along with the pc. Any recommendations? He looked at the rapid led kit but, I think it might be too bright. Lps would be the most demanding in this tank. If adding strips of blue, would it be beneficial to run 2 10k pc and ditch the actinic?

OP
OP
Docdiggy

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He wouldn't add the whole led kit. It just wouldn't be possible. Do you have a dimming kit? I guess you have to have a controller for the dimming ability. He doesn't want to spend that much. I'm thinking at full blast he'll bleach things. Yes/no?

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He wouldn't add the whole led kit. It just wouldn't be possible. Do you have a dimming kit? I guess you have to have a controller for the dimming ability. He doesn't want to spend that much. I'm thinking at full blast he'll bleach things. Yes/no?

To me it's one or the other, PC or LED. Like saltyphish mentioned above, the PC's heat your aquarium up more than the RapidLED kit. Which is also the reason I changed them too. As far as intensity, the 2 PC's will keep your LPS corals healthy. Another reason I changed was the dimming and ability to control how much light. If expense is a problem adding LED strips to existing pc's is not going to be noticeably better in my opinion. You probably won't see much of a difference.

OP
OP
Docdiggy

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have him some purple acans. In his tank it just looks like some moss. I figured he might get some pop from a couple strips. You really think the stock lights can support most lps?

OP
OP
Docdiggy

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a non dimmable kit bleach everything? I have 72w of royal blue and a few uv as supplemental lighting with my 4 bulb Ati. It definitely adds a nice touch when all t5s are on.

OP
OP
Docdiggy

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. I didn't realize you thought it would be too much. He was looking at a couple strips that are about 9w per strip. I figured that would help more than cause harm.

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an AI Vega over my 29 (pictured) but have since upgraded to a hydra 52.

FTS-25-Month-2-S_zps5ffbda49.jpg

OP
OP
Docdiggy

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing a pic. I've mentioned removing the top but, he has a goby. Known jumper. Plus the tank looks better with the top unless you get rid of the frame piece.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12gal bio cube and It Is run with PC now .I am never going to add PC`s again . 1 thing gets the tank warm to hot depending on the season , I am looking Into the new AI prime light .taking the top off and making mine rimless . Check the cost of making your own Led light might cost more then buying led light on online

OP
OP
Docdiggy

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I build one I think. I'm not too familiar with using Leds as the main light. They can be too strong. Especially being so close to the water.

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing a pic. I've mentioned removing the top but, he has a goby. Known jumper. Plus the tank looks better with the top unless you get rid of the frame piece.

I'd remove the frame, and add a clear mesh cover (BRS carries the netting). For lighting I'd use a Kessil A360 if I were going to use an LED.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back