OPTIX 10-in x 8-in x .080-in Clear Acrylic Sheet?

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a sump out of an old 10 gal glass tank I have and just want to know if these acrylic sheets would work ok as baffles in my sump. OPTIX 10-in x 8-in x .080-in Clear Acrylic Sheet. Thanks.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im no expert but .08 is super thin. I would think you would end up with some bowing and possibly weakening the joint. why dont you go for the .2x" they sell at Homedepot and Lowes?

coralkingdom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The baffles I made with that exact material bowed pretty easily once I added water to the sump.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the 6mm (.236") stuff from lowes. That will work fine. The stuff you are talking about is really really thin.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to your local glass shop and just get glass cut, The silicone ment for glass and acrylic are different and wont work well together. Glass baffles shouldn't run you much more, and you'll have the ease of mind knowing that they wont fail.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed you said a 10g glass tank. Using .08" acrylic will deff bow really bad and eventually tear the silicone off. I did a 40g with .23" acrylic and it bowed a little and weakened the seam to the point that there is some play. I dont think you would have that issue with a 10G tank though.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back