How to hook up a float switch to sump return pump

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting ready to set up my sump recently, but after doing more and more reading my inner anxiety is getting the best of me over using a HOB overflow box since my tank is not drilled, what I would like to do and seen that some people have done is install a float switch that controls the return pump in my sump, that way if syphon ever breaks or something else goes wrong and water isn't being returned to my sump, once the level gets so low it will stop the pump from pumping everything into my DT, but my question is so far all floats I seen just have 2 wires that come out, do I have to splice them into the wiring of my return pump? Or I feel like there has to be an easier (and safer) way like maybe something that the pump and float both plug into?

jeffp1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine Is wired Into an extension cord. Take the extension cord and cut one wire on It somewhere along the cord. Splice each wire from your float back Into the two ends you cut. This should complete the circuit when the float switch makes up. Plug extension cord Into power source and plug your pump Into the extension cord. Mine has been going for around 15 years and no problems. Hope this makes sense.

OP
OP
JZ199

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes perfect sense... and it's a lot better then hacking up my pump cord!! Lol... and it's nice knowing yours has worked for so long, I was afraid of it being unsafe or unreliable so that's awesome, thanks! Any preference between vertical or a horizontal float?

jeffp1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only used a Vertical float so can't comment on different float styles. Let us know how it works out. Good luck

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a controller you can program it to shut off if it is tripped.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do not take some five dollar float switch and wire it for 110 volts. They aren't made to run 110. 110 float switches are available, but are very expensive. I would suggest an Aquahub kit that comes with two float switches (the second is a safety backup), and relay to control a 110 outlet. That would be the right way of doing it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back