Stand DIY

adam.drake.79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I decided to upgrade from a 13 gallon to a 29 gal with a 29 gal display fuge. My one problem when I set the tanks on they don't sit even on the stand. So my question is, if I shim on the corner that doesn't sit flush, will that be okay? Thank you guys for your input.
uploadfromtaptalk1427766457439.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimensional lumber is unstable. Pull all those 2 x 4's off on the top and bottom shelf portions and replace with 3/4 plywood and you'll be fine.

EDIT TO ADD: I just took a second look at your stand and it would appear that the top is being supported by fasteners only. You need to have direct wood to wood contact on weight bearing portions. Here's a typical stand layout to show what I mean. Note how the purple legs are directly beneath the top red and yellow portions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adam.drake.79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does I should have posted the under side. I apologize for that. I think I might have over enginered it, I first stand that I ordered was to unstable for my liking. I appreciate your help.
uploadfromtaptalk1427769023248.jpg

jodah175

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely replace the upper layer, and lower layer of 2x4's with 1/2"(ok) or 3/4" (better). Once that is done, you can shim the legs of the stand to level it.

That stand is way overkill btw. Could probably stick a mazda on it and be fine. XD

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back