Question about a tank setup

denrobare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My wife and I just moved this past December to sunny SC. We are looking to build a new house this summer and I wanted get some opinions on a tank setup. We have the floor plans drawn up and I am thinking about a possible location for a tank. I am planning on going with a larger tank, say 125 gallon or better, so it will be a 6' long tank.

I am thinking of putting it in a wall, but wasn't sure about location. I've seen some setups that have a room or part of a room on the other side of the wall from the tank used for sumps, etc. What would you all suggest? My initial thought was to have the tank put into wall/cabinet setup with the sump underneath the tank. Would it be better just use a stand for this? Or do you have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Dennis

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much space is available behind the tank I guess would be your first question. What kind of tank are you looking to keep? Fowlr - sps? I mean if I had a choice I would have a sweet tank room where I had a remote refugium a frag tank and a nice area for a large skimmer filter socks and return with a large ato section. My tank room would require a lot of space. I would also want a nice water station where I would be able to pump my new water directly into my sump or ato container.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all that being said I guess I would need a tv a recliner and a potty throne Hahha. Man can 4 sure.

OP
OP
D

denrobare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space

Unfortunately, I dont have any spare rooms off of the great room. The walls seperate the great room from 2 bedrooms and the outside. I do have a laundry room and mud room, however they are not off of the great room. I can easliy setup a "water station" in the laundry room to make my water, but I do have to carry it to my sump/setup. the house will be large and thats why I thought of expanding one of the shorter walls to make it thick enough to house a tank and sump/equipment underneath the tank inside the wall.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the home have a crawl space or basement. I set up my tank against an outside wall, about 30 feet from my basement sump and water mixing area. I plumbed a 3/4" delivery and and 1" return along with two switch wires to control pumps from the main tank. It worked very well until I moved. If the home is not yet built, it would be very inexpensive to have the pipes and wiring in place and a simple utility access in the wall where the tank will be. You can put the rest of the equipment anywhere you want including the garage or outside in a shed.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the option and want to use the room as a fish room i say go for it. Its going to make maintenance 10X easier. Qt tanks, Frag tank, sump and equipment should all be easily accessible. Deff make your water change equip accessible. Not fun/possible to take anywhere from 20+ gallons of water up stairs.

OP
OP
D

denrobare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Thanks for all the helpful information. I am not sure I will be able to get a "fish room". I am going to keep looking into different setups for inspiration as to what to do.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back