Help with BeanAnimal Overflow system

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be doing the BeanAnimal style overflow for my new setup. It is a 40G Breeder with a 28G NRS-30 sump. The head height will be around 35ish inches + or - a few. I really only have 2 questions. First would 3/4" PVC work or should I go with 1" to be safe? I feel like 1" might be too much flow for the setup. Second what size return pump should I get? Im thinking an Eheim Compact 3000 would do the trick or do yall think it wouldnt be strong enough?

Arron209

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the compact 3000 pump for my 57g 2with 20g sump. I think it's more than enough flow and I actually have it turned down a bit.

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the 3000 on my breeder and loved it. I actually had it turned down some as well. That pump was so quiet!

I am by no means an expert, but I think you would want 1" for your overflow pipes. Hopefully someone else chimes in.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I am going with 1"... For my pump I am still not sure... I would love to go the cheaper route and get he Eheim Compact 3000 but the Sicce Syncra Pro 1000 or the RLSS DC 4000... IDK lol

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I am going with 1"... For my pump I am still not sure... I would love to go the cheaper route and get he Eheim Compact 3000 but the Sicce Syncra Pro 1000 or the RLSS DC 4000... IDK lol

I'm totally with you. I've never used the Sicce or RLSS. DC pumps are nice and I actually switched to a DC on my new tank, but I still give the Eheim major props. I went through a few different pumps before I landed on the 3000+ for my breeder, and I was VERY happy with it.

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why you would need 1" returns in a 40b, i have 3/4 returns on my 75 and it is plenty. I run a bean with 1" drains and dct8000 pump. Silent pump if you thought about dc pumps. You could go with dct6000 on yours probably.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thunder the 1" just has a less chance of cloggin

I would think you would have to restrict the gate valve so much with 1" that it would be a wash in regards to clogging risks? Isnt' the smallest point going to be the limiting factor? I don't know just asking.

I'm running 1" with an approximately 950 gph after head loss flow and have my valve cranked down 2 1/2 turns.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you would have to restrict the gate valve so much with 1" that it would be a wash in regards to clogging risks? Isnt' the smallest point going to be the limiting factor? I don't know just asking.

IDK thats just what I was told from the official BeanAnimal overflow thread over at ReefCentral lol

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the Bean animal system was three drains. One a nearly full siphon, a second drian for the remainder and finally a third safety drain. What is the risk of clogging?

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really is no risk if it gets clogged thats the point of the 3 drains, but a 3/4 drain would get clogged easier and possibly more frequent than a 1" is what they were saying.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably use 1". The larger the pipe size on your open drain, the more water it can flow before it starts to make noise. I'm afraid that with a 3/4" you might be surprised how little water it would be able to handle before it gurgles. Plus, you can always neck down your siphon to a smaller pipe. Your siphon drain is really the only pipe you can make too big. If the water velocity going through the pipe is too low, it won't have enough speed to purge all the air. Startup would be come very long or even impossible. Using a 1" siphon on mine, I was able to startup with about 700 gph in a few seconds. I made a video recently showing mine starting up using 3 different flow rates. The last is with 700 gph with a 1" siphon. HTH

[video=youtube;oya6X3aLUOo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oya6X3aLUOo[/video]

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I thought he was asking about using 3/4 or 1" for the return. If you are talking about the drain them I agree to use 1". I used 1"all the way, it starts easy and can handle more flow than I'll ever use. I wouldn't make the syphon smaller unless you are planning on doing a low flow system because it is supposed to have all the flow through it. The open channel is spars to have a trickle of water at most and if you make the syphon smaller you will get too much flow through the open I would think. This is an extremely easy system that I see people try to over think or try to reengineer it then they just have problems and wonder why.

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably use 1". The larger the pipe size on your open drain, the more water it can flow before it starts to make noise. I'm afraid that with a 3/4" you might be surprised how little water it would be able to handle before it gurgles. Plus, you can always neck down your siphon to a smaller pipe. Your siphon drain is really the only pipe you can make too big. If the water velocity going through the pipe is too low, it won't have enough speed to purge all the air. Startup would be come very long or even impossible. Using a 1" siphon on mine, I was able to startup with about 700 gph in a few seconds. I made a video recently showing mine starting up using 3 different flow rates. The last is with 700 gph with a 1" siphon. HTH

[video=youtube;oya6X3aLUOo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oya6X3aLUOo[/video]

Nice video by the way.

Back