My Piece of the reef - 300 Gallon plus sump room with water change station

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - I thought I would post up a new link to my sump room - It has come a long way and I just built a custom sump for it and also have my water change station up and running now.

Here is the link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Az10M3kVs

Here is my equipment list -

Sump Room
Custom 90 Gallon Sump with triple 7" filter sock holder
Reeflo Hammerhead Hybrid Gold Pump (runs DT and 75)
Reeflo Dart Hybrid Gold Pump - runs all accessories, fuge, frag and skimmer
JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/4 HP
Skimmer - Reeflo Orca 250
Reef Octopus CR140 Calcium Reactor
Avast GFO Reactor
GEO Kalk Reactor Hooked up with a stand alone dosing pump
GHL Profilux Dosing pump with Slave
SpectraPure Ultra-Precise Auto Top Off
Reef Dynamics BPR135E Bio-Pellet reactor
CO2 reactor as sump is in boiler room and was having some low PH issues
APEX -(2) EB8's - PM1 - PM2 - ALD- Display - with PH, ORP, Salinity & Temp Probes

Refugium
40B gallon refugium - With T5 grow lights - Deep sand bed

Quarantine System
20L Gallon QT Tank - HOB Filter - Deep Blue Led cover

Water System
BRS 6 Stage PLUS RO/DI System - 150gpd
Salt water mixing stations includes 2 - 100 Gallon water containers - hooked up with gate valves and a little giant pump to do the mixing.

Last edited:

gann810

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Let's see display tank. I enjoy seeing fellow reefers feed their addictions

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty impressive

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited by a moderator:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great!

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so happy with how this came out. So much more effective. The sump design is perfect and the Reeflo Orca 250 skimmer is incredible. Very happy I made the changes that I did.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing, I sure am envious of you with being able to house all that equipment in a separate room!

(Warning: I am a neat freak, and some of my feedback will probably relate to it a smidge... sorta.. okay maybe most of it! :lol: )

- You have a lot of equipment, and much of it will need maintenance as you already know. I know you mentioned cable management needing to be done, so my only advice is to remember to combine wires of equipment that don't need to come fully out to be maintained... make sure the wires are easy to take out with the equipment if need be.

- I see you are using metal hose clamps. While one of my worries is about corrosion and it's effect on the water chemistry/biology of the tank I also worry about when the time comes to need it to come off. Considering it's all close to the water, WD-40 is probably out of the question, as many other lubricants. I recommend using plastic hose clamps that can be found on the internet, or if you're lucky, at some local shop.

- Your coralline growth looks great in the display (As does some of the LPS corals), but I see some of your SPS corals not fairing too well. Out of curiosity, what are your current water parameters?

- The water clarity is absolutely crisp, no doubt due to your massive amount of filtration. You've mentioned running carbon dosing via biopellets.. was that a recent addition? Looking at your refugium, I couldn't help notice its growth from only about a month... it's impressive. I am honestly surprised you were able to get that while using carbon dosing as well, and GFO on top of that. How much biopellets are you running?

- I love the fish in your display.. what do you feed, how frequent, and how much per day?

- What are your Ecotech's in your display running at? I am shocked not to see as much flow in your tank (Judging by the movement of the corals) given your water movers..

- Cool set up!

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not I am somewhat a neat freak as well - definitely have some OCD...

-I use food grade reusable silicone cable ties for the cables - they are awesome.
- I have a combination - anything over water or in water I use the plastic. when they start to look bad
- I lost a few SPS - i had gotten them all at one LFS and lost all of them. Most of my SPS are doing very well now and my parameters have been extremely stable.
-I have been switching over to all in one biopellets and am liking the results. as far as amounts - I have about 2 cups in the reactor but started with 1/2 cup. I use the reef dynamics reactor which IMO is the best reactor for pellets - lots of control over it. I have recently cut out my carbon.
- I over feed :) I feed mysis - reef ROE - pellets - flakes - Reef Frenzy etc - I mix it up and feed 2-3 times a day
- I had the Ecotech's turned down when I was filming - believe me there is a ton of flow in the tank. This is what I run them on right now.
00:0039%Lagoon
02:5940%Pulse
07:5153%Tidal
10:5066%Reef Crest
13:4177%Reef Crest
16:3257%Pulse
20:3242%Lagoon
23:5941%

- THANKS!!

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this the ORCA?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back