Votes: 37 33.0%

• Total voters

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone think? Black looks great and pops but boxes in While blue seems to pop also and open up the space.

Have usually gone with black but thinking I may try blue this time around. Interested in what others think on this with any pros n cons for each.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had blue before n was very nice. This new build I've went black for a change. I really liked black I had for fw before. I think the black will absorb light more just a thought. Good luck and God bless......Steve

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used aluminum foil and I really like it.

uploadfromtaptalk1429567313873.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429567313873.jpg

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya wish I was good enough to build up a shadow box and be done with it - those are sick. Seems the foil reflection does the into the deep effect. Does it shine light more bouncing off of it?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya wish I was good enough to build up a shadow box and be done with it - those are sick. Seems the foil reflection does the into the deep effect. Does it shine light more bouncing off of it?
I'm sure it does to some degree, but I have no clue how much. I have thought about using a silver metallic paint on the back of my tanks, but didn't get around to it.

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've always went black but I have see some awesome blue background tanks!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting for the coralline algae to take over the back. If I have to choose it would be blue.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used black Krylon Fusion. I saw something recently that looked kind of cool though. They use window frosting for the back ground. Although it might seem weird at first, I bet it would look good on a mangrove setup or something like that.

Check out his gallery. He is a local guy who specializes in freshwater. His stuff is pretty awesome.

Hardscapes:

Aquarium Design Group custom aquarium design installation and service in Houston Texas

Planted:

Aquarium Design Group custom aquarium design installation and service in Houston Texas

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Black looks better on narrower tanks but tanks that are deep front to back look better with blue.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would look good to YOU

I chose blue. Idea: Using an Epoxy that dries clear, glue a mirror on the back.(OUTSIDE ONLY) OR create a custom Background instead. Rocks Molde suff etc.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went from black to blue....wow what a change. Never had a tank that had a different background from black, and always wondered what was missing. Blue BY FAR brings up more of the colors of the corals, fish and overall mood of the tank. Tank as a whole is brighter and more natural looking. Try it for yourself and find out

French27

Excitedly New to the Hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used black Krylon Fusion. I saw something recently that looked kind of cool though. They use window frosting for the back ground. Although it might seem weird at first, I bet it would look good on a mangrove setup or something like that.

Check out his gallery. He is a local guy who specializes in freshwater. His stuff is pretty awesome.

Hardscapes:

Planted:

I really am intrigued by the frosted glass background. I was thinking a blue tinted/painted frosted glass look might be really cool. I wonder if such an animal exists or if you could just paint the back of the frosted glass as you would a normal tank.

joss.gamble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went from black to blue....wow what a change. Never had a tank that had a different background from black, and always wondered what was missing. Blue BY FAR brings up more of the colors of the corals, fish and overall mood of the tank. Tank as a whole is brighter and more natural looking. Try it for yourself and find out

Interesting, I've not thought about blue before as I've seen some thanks that I've thought looked messy because of it. I like the idea of it looking more natural though, I guess to a certain extent that is what we are all striving for?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose blue. Idea: Using an Epoxy that dries clear, glue a mirror on the back.(OUTSIDE ONLY) OR create a custom Background instead. Rocks Molde suff etc.
If you use a mirror many fish will kill themselves fighting the reflection

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The awesome part here is I usually don't paint (go figure with all the painting I do on my tanks) the DT background. I like being able to have a removable option for both inspection and viewing (I can usually get behind my tanks) - hence I velcro on cloth material.
I will be making one of each with black and 1 blue. They can be switched out and soon we will have a side by side comparison for each.

Last edited:

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use black. But I don't use paint I just buy black vinyl from a custom sign shop and use that instead. It goes on just like window tint

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back