Skimmate=best weed killer ever

60squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's that time of year again folks the weeds are growing and for those of you that want a good use for your skimmate it an excellent weed killer comparable with any I have used. Give it a try.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've seen threads where people claim it works as a fertilizer for plants.
I wouldn't do it and haven't actual proof.

I would think it would be a better weed killer.

OP
OP
60squared

60squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a little more info?

Don't really know what else to tell pour it over a plant and when the sun hits it...fried. the main ingredient in most weed killer is sodium chloride "salt" and I would say that it plays a big part in the skimmate killing weeds, I can't imagine using it as fertilizer for anything it has burnt up anything I've poured it over

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to dump mine in the soil around the rose bushes.
They seem to like it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say kill weeds, I've got to assume this would be plants growing, say, between the cracks in your sidewalk. I certainly wouldn't want to put this down on a weed growing in the middle of my lawn. It will poison the soil and not only kill the weed but also any grass in the area.

I'm also not aware of any weed killer that has sodium chloride as an active ingredient. The three mechanisms of plant killers that immediately come to my mind are:

Protein systhysis disrupters (Round Up)
Defoliates (Agent Orange)
Auxin-type (cause excessive growth) (2, 4 D)

OP
OP
60squared

60squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say kill weeds, I've got to assume this would be plants growing, say, between the cracks in your sidewalk. I certainly wouldn't want to put this down on a weed growing in the middle of my lawn. It will poison the soil and not only kill the weed but also any grass in the area.

I'm also not aware of any weed killer that has sodium chloride as an active ingredient. The three mechanisms of plant killers that immediately come to my mind are:

Protein systhysis disrupters (Round Up)
Defoliates (Agent Orange)
Auxin-type (cause excessive growth) (2, 4 D)

Would you use any of the above mentioned I'm the middle of your lawn? Alot of organic weed killers today do have sodium chloride as an active ingredient while stronger rooted plants like rose bush etc may handle it weeds and grass do not in my experience I've been pouring it down a fence line and it's scorched earth

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between the commercial herbicides I mention is that they disrupt the biology of the plant in some way. The first two don't discriminate and kill all vegetation. The last only effects broad-leaf weeds, leaving things like grass still alive. With salt, it simply poisons the soil, not allowing anything to grow. You will have to wait some time before the soils have been washed enough with rainwater before you'd be able to grow something again.

I've used 2, 4 D on lawns for years, and Round-Up when I wanted to kill everything (re-seeding a lawn). The great thing about Round-Up is wait ten days and you can replant.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tons of vegetation in my yard. I'll find 2 similar plants and dump my skimmate on one to see what happens.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tons of vegetation in my yard. I'll find 2 similar plants and dump my skimmate on one to see what happens.

Interesting! Take pictures.

Living in a town that lost about 300 homes to Sandy (from flooding), I can tell you that some plants are more susceptible to saltwater. I've noticed that many evergreens....juniper, hues, pines.....quickly died, even if they were only breifly exposed to saltwater. Other plants seemed to do better with saltwater exposer and sprung back to life after a year. My guess is that some (if not all) had deep tap roots that the saltwater never got to. Bottom line is that I wouldn't put any salts down on my yard.

The salts used on the roads in the winter in colder climates is considered hazardous waste when the street cleans come around to sweep it up. Our town found that out the hard way.

Last edited:

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's try it!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1430868499.165715.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1430868531.912353.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1430868543.834224.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1430868555.505879.jpg

I have a variety of stuff growing through the sidewalk. I picked out some random ones and dumped skimmate on them.

Last edited:

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weeds in the last 2 pics are wilting already. The grass in the first pic looks fine. All the other greenery around looks fine. 2 of the 3 I poured the skimmate on are turning yellow/brown.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1431131278.404122.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1431131305.747845.jpg

OP
OP
60squared

60squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pour it down the fence line every time I empty mine so I'm continually dosing it probably why it's working so well

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally dead now. All the other stuff around it is green. The pieces I poured skimmate on are toast.

image.jpg

Lurline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's that time of year again folks the weeds are growing and for those of you that want a good use for your skimmate it an excellent weed killer comparable with any I have used. Give it a try.
And my constant hepler in weed control in my garden is Spectracide Weed And Grass Killer. I've been using it for over three years and it has't let me down. In my garden a lot of field flowers that I like very much, so I carefully use the weed killer. Read this article before applying. https://grass-killer.com/reviews/spectracide-weed-and-grass-killer-review/ Here everything is written in detail about this weed killer.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back