DIY acrylic tank building guidelines on thickness/bracing?

LivingSeas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to build and acrylic sump for my 300 gallon DT

I was planning on a 125 gallon sump. I also want to make a frag
and possible QT tank if I have enough acrylic left.

Are their guidelines somewhere on how thick I need to buy for x wall height?
Or is it the total amount of gallons? Both of these tanks will be pretty low..less
then 20" tops but I'd love to be able to build bigger tanks if this works out.

At what point do I need to add bracing? When is a full sheet brace called for or
is euro style with an open center doable?

I'd love to hear from some experienced folks.

OP
OP
L

LivingSeas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the point. If its experience you must follow some sort of mental guidelines?

Can you share those? You seem to be an acrylic expert based on your other postings

Thanks. Mike

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trial and error... Really what you build today may look nice and not bow but in 2 weeks when the acrylic absorbs water turns into a football... Like I said exp... I like to see 3/8 or 1/2" thick on sumps... Euro brace depends on dimensions of tank.... Give me a dimension I'll tell you what works... Every tank is custom so it always varies...

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a 6' x 18" x 10" tall tank? Maybe two strips across it for support? Sorry if I hijacked

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2" with eurobrase or 3/4" without, using my acrylic aquarium experience :)
Believe it or not but 3/4" will bow across a 6 ft span... But it's still structurally sound... I would use 1" rimless just for looks...
With a 2" euro brace and single center brace 4" wide.. 3/8" is plenty thick...

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not but 3/4" will bow across a 6 ft span... But it's still structurally sound... I would use 1" rimless just for looks...
With a 2" euro brace and single center brace 4" wide.. 3/8" is plenty thick...
Thanks, the rimless would look sweet, huh? And a 1" shorter back for a coast to coast... a man can dream, can't he :)

OP
OP
L

LivingSeas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay how about a 64*28*16 sump with two baffles? Water level would be 14.5 tops.

I was hoping for 3/8 due to cost. I won't have room for a full euro brace. Would a couple cross slats due?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah that won't work.... 3/8" would suffice with a full euro of 3" around the permiter... That's the other thing it's a half a sheet waisted sometimes thicker acrylic is cheaper because you use less material... You are basically running that sump at 100% capacity all tanks have a water line 1" to 1.5" down... For that particular size I would use 3/8" bottomand baffles with 3/4" walls all the way around for rimless... Even then it will have a slight bow..

Mstansbery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah that won't work.... 3/8" would suffice with a full euro of 3" around the permiter... That's the other thing it's a half a sheet waisted sometimes thicker acrylic is cheaper because you use less material... You are basically running that sump at 100% capacity all tanks have a water line 1" to 1.5" down... For that particular size I would use 3/8" bottomand baffles with 3/4" walls all the way around for rimless... Even then it will have a slight bow..

^^Ditto

3/8 seems like it would be hard to get a good bond first try, especially for the eurobrace...I would sacrifice the cash and go with a thicker sheet to ensure a larger bonding surface!!

-Are you doing all the cutting yourself??

OP
OP
L

LivingSeas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have professional acrylic manufacturer I worked with in past for business
Will be cut on a million dollar cnc system with diamond encrusted bits. Will be
Saw mark free.

If I upped everything to 1/2" could I get away with a eurobrace? 3/4 is really pricey.

Mstansbery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sweeeet!!

I would think 1/2 is sufficient...Your going to have baffles so theres going to be plenty of shear that way and I would venture to say the baffles themselves create a loss in pressure against the short sidewalls...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2" with a euro brace yes without no... If you could put at least a strip 2" wide down both long sides it would work for ya... But I would suggest a 8 to 10" water line max... 14" is gonna cause you havoc on the side walls and skimmer..

Mstansbery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2" with a euro brace yes without no... If you could put at least a strip 2" wide down both long sides it would work for ya... But I would suggest a 8 to 10" water line max... 14" is gonna cause you havoc on the side walls and skimmer..

Sorry..yes 1/2" with euro!!

crussell523

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would like to build a tank that has the following demensions what thickness would i need? length 96" width 36" water depth 42" I know i will probably need a couple of braces.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a low frag tank myself its 72"x24"x12". The acrylic is 1/2". Filled it to the edge and had less than 1/8" bow in it if you go short in height you have less bow if go to 20" i would suggest a cross brace or if you euro make sure top is one pc

Rich2015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to build acrylic tank 72"x96" x48" use 3/4 inch or 1" ? What would you recommend thickness.

Back