DIY bowfront stand...

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am interested in building a new stand for my 46 bowfront. Has anyone here ever made a stand for a bowfront? I have seen some people make a rectangle stand for them but I would much rather have it curved. I want to have an open front like I have now (see picture). Any input would be awesome. I'm goin to try and draw up some plans soon but I'm not much of an artist so help there would be great as well. Thanks guys
ge9e6a3u.jpg

Last edited:

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested to see how this will go. Building anything curved out of wood is pretty tough.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on DIY'ers I know you're out there...lol. Do you think I could make a rectangular stand from 2x4's and cut a piece if 3/4" plywood with the radius to match the tank shape?

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When making circular shapes in construction, we use plywood as the top and bottom plate for the walls. You can make a 2x 3.5" strips of plywood in the shape of your tank and then fill it in with studs to make your shape. Then wrap the stand with 1/4" plywood on the front and 3/4" on the top. Plywood will be your friend on this one for sure.

You might want to check out the series of videos from LA Fish guys. They have 3 videos on building a stand for a 400 gallon bow front and then they have another 6 videos of setting up the tank. Check them out for some ideas.

Here is the first one on building the stand for the 400gallon bowfront.
http://www.lafishguys.com/112- Bowfront Cabinet Guy -01.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I was thinking of leaving the front open like the one in the picture. I like seeing all the equipment. Do you think that would present any problems ?

Last edited:

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so, the only disadvantage to an open stand is noise. The advantage is great air flow over your sump. Have you started building anything yet?

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not started building anything. I am trying to plan it out as well as I can and weigh all my options. I don't have too much noise from my tank now with the open front. I just really like having it open and seeing all the filtration and it also makes working on the tank easier. I don't like the particle board stand that it is on now. I'm just starting to not trust it so I want to make something new. Trying to draw up plans for a wood stand and I am also talking with a welder that works out of the same yard as me to see if he can make something out of steel.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is open right now as well but the cabinet doors are in the mail. Once you get some drawings up we will be able to help you out more structurally. Have you decided on what type of wood you wanted to use at least?

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you glue and screw the plywood then 2x4's wont be necessary. I have attached some photos of my stand which is made entirely out of 3/4 plywood and 1x4 oak board. It has been going strong for 3+ years and I finally ordered the doors for it. I hope this gives you some ideas. If you were going to build it out of 2x4 though, then you could just wrap it in 1/4"-1/2" plywood to not only save money, but weight as well.

028.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking stand. Thank you for your help with this. Here is what i came up with really quickly. PLease dont laugh it was my first time using this program...lol. Let me know if you see any issues with something like this. The blue is the frame out of 2x4's and the red on top will be 3/4'' ply. Do you see any issues with the overhang of the plywood?

Attachments

• tank stand 2.jpg
    tank stand 2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

Fishinbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am interested in building a new stand for my 46 bowfront. Has anyone here ever made a stand for a bowfront? I have seen some people make a rectangle stand for them but I would much rather have it curved. I want to have an open front like I have now (see picture). Any input would be awesome. I'm goin to try and draw up some plans soon but I'm not much of an artist so help there would be great as well. Thanks guys
ge9e6a3u.jpg

I wish I had a computer I have an idea!! Dang smart phones not having google sketch! Call your local lumber yard or cabinet supply company ask if the have "Bendy Ply" its plywood with all separate plys grain running the same direction thus plywood bends. They usually call it column and barrel forms one sheet will give you a 8' tall column or a 4' tall barrel. Cut out two identical top and bottom plates from 3/4" ply of choice. Add some 2x4 supports around "bow front" account for opening for doors , rip down bendy ply to desired height and glue and nail to top and bottom plate as well as the front supports. If you want to want to keep the door add a two part epoxy or glue to the inside of the door let harden then cut out and use as a pre shaped door.
90 corner stand with stock plastic canopy
ezeneny7.jpg

ame3e2yb.jpg

Stand/ wood canopy ready for finish
ujyvu5u6.jpg

Finished
agygu6yn.jpg

Sorry if I couldn't explain it tired ram ramblings of a tires reefer!!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what I’d do is glue (urethane glue) 2 (or 3) two-by-fours together, trace the arc on this, and cut it using a bandsaw. I’d only cut the outer arc, leaving the inside of the 2by4 straight. Do this for top and bottom pieces and you now have a “bowed†stand to match the tank.

The other option would be to build a jig with the correct arc. Using thin pieces of wood (1/8 inch or thinner), glue up multiple pieces to make the upper and lower arced pieces..

Last edited:

bassperformance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built one for my 46 bow and it turned out great. I built it out of 3/4 furniture ply using a kregg joiner. For the bottom lip i soaked a 2 1/4 strip of ply in water then weight formed it to radius to be seamless. To add strength to the front edge i used a 2 x6 And routed it to radius . Fininshed off front by bending another plyfor looks add some vanier Strips for looks. Looking back i would have liked to used 1x2 to finish off the front for a better look. Wanted to stain it. Thats my little project and .02. Dont have any pics cuz i gave the tank away before i moved but if you want a pencil blue print i can draw it up. Hope the best best, i always say with diy have fun.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
METHOD 1: Glued up 2by4’s

With this example I’m showing three 2by4’s glued up. I’m not sure how many it would take, but I’m guessing 2 or 3. Trace the arc on the glued up 2by4’s:

2by4withdrawnarc.jpg

Using a bandsaw with a skiptoothed blade, cut the line:

2x4withcutarc.jpg

Use this method to make two….one for the top and one for the bottom…..and now just use the RC stand diagram to build your stand. I would include ¾ plywood top and whatever skinning you wish to do.

Stand.jpg

METHOD 2: Arced Jig Glue Up

Here’s an example of a jig used to make a curved rib in a boat…..same principle to make a curved piece for the front horizontal piece of the stand. I would take two 2by4’s and rip them into 1/8 inch thicknesses. Using the jig, I would glue up enough of this thin pieces to at least get me to 1 ½ inches wide……a curved 2by4. Use polyurethane glue…..it’s waterproof.

RibGlueUp.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back