Hello Everyone

Robinson86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm new to saltwater tanks and I have just started a tan abut 2 weeks ago. I have everything right going on with my tank right now, all of my levels are great and I have had a Domino and a Damsel in the tank since the beginning to help cycle the tank quicker. My setup is a truee 55 gallon long, with a Emperour Penguin Filter system, Ihave 60 pounds of crushed coral for the bottom, and around 14 pound of live rock. I recently visited the Coral Reef store in Knoxville and got some great advice from the people who were working. My name is Matt and any advice that you all could give me would be greatly appreciated and I also would like to get some information on the Reef Club as well because I need all the help I can get because I alos have a 180 gallon high tanks I am fixing to setup and I heard the Reef Club is a great way to meet new people and get great information on different tanks styles. Please feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what type of experiences you all have had with saltwater and what fish I should start out with after my tank has finished cycling.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm new to saltwater tanks and I have just started a tan abut 2 weeks ago. I have everything right going on with my tank right now, all of my levels are great and I have had a Domino and a Damsel in the tank since the beginning to help cycle the tank quicker. My setup is a truee 55 gallon long, with a Emperour Penguin Filter system, Ihave 60 pounds of crushed coral for the bottom, and around 14 pound of live rock. I recently visited the Coral Reef store in Knoxville and got some great advice from the people who were working. My name is Matt and any advice that you all could give me would be greatly appreciated and I also would like to get some information on the Reef Club as well because I need all the help I can get because I alos have a 180 gallon high tanks I am fixing to setup and I heard the Reef Club is a great way to meet new people and get great information on different tanks styles. Please feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what type of experiences you all have had with saltwater and what fish I should start out with after my tank has finished cycling.

Welcome! That's great that you have your 55 set up already. Can you list what you're testing and the test results? That will be very helpful for anyone trying to help you out. As far as the 180g, I would wait to set it up for now. That's a big tank and I think it would be better to get the hang of things on your 55g. New tanks and the learning curve are a lot of hard work and you don't want to get frustrated before you have a better handle on things. What are you planning to keep in the tank? Fish, types of corals??

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why hello. Glad to see you have made it to us! Welcome to the exciting world of reef keeping. It is not an easy hobby. The best advice I can give you is keep up on your husbandry, and make sure you use plenty of patience. If you rush into anything in this hobby, that little bit of instant gratification, usually ends in something biting the dust. You found the right spot for information. Just ask and we will help. Also, reef2reef is a great resource. I use the search function everyday to look up questions. If you can't find it, then ask.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes welcome. I started this madness when I was 14 and turned 50 last year. The changes I've seen and what we can keep alive and thriving is amazing compared to 35 years ago! I got my first acro in 1994 and wasn't able to keep the turd brown A. ceralis alive much longer than about 4 months but now I and others maintain brilliant colors and manage to frag these corals!

You appear to be off to a good start. I'd advise researching your fish choice thoroughly prior to purchasing to avoid impulse buys and aggression. I'd highly advise joining a club as the menial membership fees are more than offset by all the benefits. There are at least 2 to choose from in Knoxville but as one of the few remaining semi-charter members of ETRC I'm admittedly a bit biased in my preference. Come here often for help and advise, there is a lot of experience in the club and on R2R in general!

Dave

OP
OP
R

Robinson86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Test Results

Welcome! That's great that you have your 55 set up already. Can you list what you're testing and the test results? That will be very helpful for anyone trying to help you out. As far as the 180g, I would wait to set it up for now. That's a big tank and I think it would be better to get the hang of things on your 55g. New tanks and the learning curve are a lot of hard work and you don't want to get frustrated before you have a better handle on things. What are you planning to keep in the tank? Fish, types of corals??
OK, I usually test my tanks levels about every 3 or 4 days just to see if anything is rising, that way I can catch it and control it. RIght now the results are as followed; Nitrates:10, Nitrites:0, Alkalinity:305, PH:8.3, Ammonia:0, and Salinity:32. I'm planning on keepinga community tank, for example; Clownfish, Yellow and Blue Tangs, puffer, and when my tank is good and balanced I would probably put ii a Flame Angel. My 55 will more than likely not have any coral in it, I want to get a good tank going before I start coral.

OP
OP
R

Robinson86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me What type of coral is the best to start out with, because eventully I would like to add some Madarins in my tankto bring out the color. I would also like to know your alls thoughts on adding a Foxface Lo to my 55g setup. I have been going through and raking my brain on what typpe of fish I will add after my clowns and havent really decided, I really want vibrant color in my tank because I want to start teaching my son about the things he is looking at inside the tank. Thank you all in advance for your input.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft corals such as zoas and mushrooms are very forgiving and pretty hardy. LPS corals such as favia, Lobos and Acans aren't too hard either but I'd start with the soft ones first. I've heard Mandarins are hard to keep. I wouldn't do blue damsels. They're pretty but they get mean.

ZIGGY63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could keep one mandarin in a 55, but you will probably have to buy or start growing pods.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me What type of coral is the best to start out with, because eventully I would like to add some Madarins in my tankto bring out the color. I would also like to know your alls thoughts on adding a Foxface Lo to my 55g setup. I have been going through and raking my brain on what typpe of fish I will add after my clowns and havent really decided, I really want vibrant color in my tank because I want to start teaching my son about the things he is looking at inside the tank. Thank you all in advance for your input.
A foxface will get a bit on the large size for a 55. The smaller tangs might work in there for awhile but aren't the most brilliant. Chromis are nice but the ones I've owned always seem to pick one another off until one or two are left. Mandarins need a mature tank and should be added close to last and probably shouldn't be mixed with other pod eaters (like greedy haliocheres wrasses). Fairy and flasher wrasses are a safe bet for colorful and peaceful fish but vary a LOT on price). Anthias are a good choice also but certain species can be difficult. There are also some nice colorful inexpensive gobies out there. If you have specific questions don't hesitate to ask; I've likely kept the fish you're interested in at some point in the past.

Dave

Chriscrna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Matt and welcome to the hobby.

The ETRC currently has 21 members. Joining the ETRC is simple. Annual dues are $24 (pro-rated dues are currently $16). Once you've paid, you're a member. Easy as that.

We try to have meetings once a month. It doesn't always work out, but we try. Meetings are not mandatory, but are very beneficial.

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Do not hesitate to ask ANY question. Believe me, we all had them at one time or another.

If you'd like to join, PM me and we'll get it done. Good luck!

OP
OP
R

Robinson86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just got my clean up crew and sized my tank. I found out I have a 75 gallon not a 55 gallon, I orginally thought the tank was a 55 but it is a 75 gallon. I have a good system running and I have quite a few fish living good in their new home. The fish line-up I have is as followed: 2 Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Domino, 2Turbo Snails, 1 Blue Headed Wrasse, and 1 Damsel.

Saltwaterwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your new 75gallon, I started with a 75 gallon hang on back filters as well, but soon came across the fast that I won't be able to keep certain tangs such as a powder blue tang or yellow tang in systems this small, downgraded to a 30 gallon this way I have time to plan to get a 150 gallon, I would recommend researching in depth about tangs, beautiful fish but get highly stressed, hope this helps.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back