Which Radion for a 20" deep tank? Part 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.. so I was told to repost this here so here it goes.

Hello,

I was curious which Radion you would suggest for a 20" deep tank. The Radion XR30w G3 or Radion XR30w G3 Pro?

Tank is mostly Acans, Zoas/Palys, some common SPS but would like to be able to keep anything I decide in the future that I like.

TIA for the help :tongue:

OP
OP
lyrical

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the reply Sexycorals :tongue:

Was this a no brainer question? Or simply brighter is always better? Or the normal 30 G3 simply not strong enough? Or all three? lol

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the reply Sexycorals :tongue:

Was this a no brainer question? Or simply brighter is always better? Or the normal 30 G3 simply not strong enough? Or all three? lol

It's not necessarily a no-brainer. Certainly the standard Gen 3 can support everything you want to keep and MUCH more.

The Pro offers 4-more LEDs, with the addition of "yellow" and "white" instead of "cool white". The Pro has 114 more PAR as well as a max wattage of 170W as opposed to 150W.

All the technical specs aside, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with either fixture. Comparing the Gen3 to the Gen3 Pro isn't like comparing a Honda car to a Mercedes. It's more like comparing a Mercedes car to a Mercedes SUV!!

BTW, I have three Radion Gen3's over my 125gal SPS dominant tank. They don't go over 65%! [emoji106][emoji4]

Last edited:

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 gen 2 pros and an 18" tank and mine are set at 40% max intensity. I would lower to 35% if i didn't have some sps. I have about 25 different rainbow acans on the sand and they have been holding color pretty well. so either would be sufficient for your needs.

OP
OP
lyrical

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 gen 2 pros and an 18" tank and mine are set at 40% max intensity. I would lower to 35% if i didn't have some sps. I have about 25 different rainbow acans on the sand and they have been holding color pretty well. so either would be sufficient for your needs.

That's great to know thank you. I love the acans so its reassuring to know they do well under these lights.

OP
OP
lyrical

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not necessarily a no-brainer. Certainly the standard Gen 3 can support everything you want to keep and MUCH more.

The Pro offers 4-more LEDs, with the addition of "yellow" and "white" instead of "cool white". The Pro has 114 more PAR as well as a max wattage of 170W as opposed to 150W.

All the technical specs aside, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with either fixture. Comparing the Gen3 to the Gen3 Pro isn't like comparing a Honda car to a Mercedes. It's more like comparing a Mercedes car to a Mercedes SUV!!

BTW, I have three Radion Gen3's over my 125gal SPS dominant tank. They don't go over 65%! [emoji106][emoji4]

Thank you! That is also great info to know. One of my concerns was since the tank is only 20" high I didn't want to waste money on a light designed for a deeper tank... but the LED lights are new to me. I've always used MH before so this is a new learning experience for me. Thanks again for all the help everyone :)

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pro offers 4-more LEDs, with the addition of "yellow" and "white" instead of "cool white".
Uh... what? It has two Oslon SSL 'yellow' (which are amber diodes) and two additional Oslon SSL 'deep blue' (which are royal blue diodes). Both models use the same low-CRI cool whites.

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh... what? It has two Oslon SSL 'yellow' (which are amber diodes) and two additional Oslon SSL 'deep blue' (which are royal blue diodes). Both models use the same low-CRI cool whites.
jedimasterben here are the charts where I referenced the differences from my previous comment.

http://www.f3images.com/IMD/UserManuals/EM58600_2.pdf

http://www.marinedepot.com/EcoTech_...res-EcoTech_Marine-EM58600-FILTFILDTN-vi.html

I'm not an expert by any means in specific LEDs, but these charts show what I was talking about. I imagine many would interpret them the same way I did.... I've been wrong before though. [emoji4]

4-more LEDs, with the addition of "yellow" and "white" instead of "cool white".

This statement was a two part statement.

1) There are 4-more LEDs in the fixture.

2)- (From the chart) you can see that "Yellow-Olsen SSL" was added as well as a change from "C. White: Cree XT-E" to a "White: Cree XP-G2"

I apologize if my comment was confusing.

Randy

Last edited:

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jedimasterben here are the charts where I referenced the differences from my previous comment.

http://www.f3images.com/IMD/UserManuals/EM58600_2.pdf

EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w Gen3 LED Light Fixtures

I'm not an expert by any means in specific LEDs, but these charts show what I was talking about. I imagine many would interpret them the same way I did.... I've been wrong before though. [emoji4]

4-more LEDs, with the addition of "yellow" and "white" instead of "cool white".

This statement was a two part statement.

1) There are 4-more LEDs in the fixture.

2)- (From the chart) you can see that "Yellow-Olsen SSL" was added as well as a change from "C. White: Cree XT-E" to a "White: Cree XP-G2"

I apologize if my comment was confusing.

Randy

I was going by their spec pages, didn't even notice the switch to XP-G2. More than likely same color bin, just slightly higher flux on the XP-G2. It's highly unlikely that Ecotech would change their white LED color. Using higher quality white diodes would eliminate three LED colors, and that would more than likely hurt sales unless marketed very well, despite the results ending up better.

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has that been working out for you? Thanks!

Too early to tell. So far no issues. Only had gorgs, some zoas and palys so far. I haven't gotten the PAR meter out yet. I peak at around 60 - 65% for 3 hours for now on 12hr schedule with something around 20k look. I'll teak it more later on. I run all my Ecotech gear thru an Apex. Had the gorgs for a few months. The zoas and palys just couple weeks and they're on the sand for now.

I do plan to keep mostly sticks though. I'll let you know how that goes. I haven't bought any yet. Too cold.

Last edited:

JOSE CASAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a gen3 pro 12"" from rim @100%. Since day one sept. No acclimation with very good growth and color. Very happy with the the fixture.

OP
OP
lyrical

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change in plans possibly... I might be going with a 24" high tank... so now the question is are the 30 G3 Pro strong enough for that depth?

camelcruiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine on a 6x2x2 and could grow Acro and clams on the sand bed no problem. I've actually seen them used on deep dimension tanks which are 27 deep and they work well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back