EcoTech RMS Radion mount kit interview/review (Reef Builders)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fishface1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed the RMS and a Radion about 2 weeks ago on my 29 gallon reef. I had to mount from the side of the tank to avoid the center brace. It was very easy to put together and install. The only thing I don't like is that I had to use the longest arm to reach the center of the tank and my light hangs off balance (it dips to the side away from the RMS). It would be nice if the light didn't dip down but it really isn't a problem for me. I love my Radion and so do my corals! :)

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed the RMS and a Radion about 2 weeks ago on my 29 gallon reef. I had to mount from the side of the tank to avoid the center brace. It was very easy to put together and install. The only thing I don't like is that I had to use the longest arm to reach the center of the tank and my light hangs off balance (it dips to the side away from the RMS). It would be nice if the light didn't dip down but it really isn't a problem for me. I love my Radion and so do my corals! :)

So it's a bit too "flimsy" for you, when extended out?
Do you run XR15 or XR30?

I would like to try these out for my next build. Right now I'm using the Premium Hanging Kits and a couple of Long Rail Kits.

I like the idea of using the Multi Light RMS with the hanging kit. The horizontal maneuverability is exactly what I need for my 6' tank.

Fishface1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's a bit too "flimsy" for you, when extended out?
Do you run XR15 or XR30?

I would like to try these out for my next build. Right now I'm using the Premium Hanging Kits and a couple of Long Rail Kits.

I like the idea of using the Multi Light RMS with the hanging kit. The horizontal maneuverability is exactly what I need for my 6' tank.

It's not that it's flimsy… the weight of the XR30 just makes it sag because it's setting all the way at the end. The light is very sturdy, it just sags some. I thought about getting the bigger mounting kit, but couldn't afford the extra $ at the time so I got the single. I will post a pic as soon as I get a chance...

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question, and concern, about these is how does the X bracket affect the fan on top of the light? I have an XR15 pro and was just curious if the X bracket blocked most of the fan intake.

Fishface1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yah, I wonder that too @SCMatt I would hope they thought of that.

Have you noticed any blockage @sekunda2003 ?

I can't say on the XR15, but on the XR30 the bracket sits flush on the top of the light. The fan is on the bottom and the vents are on the top outer edges. No blockage what-so-ever. It seems the airflow is up from the bottom then over the tops of the LED pods and out the ends.

Last edited:

Shamus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the mount. Its well built and looks good but, the light doesn't sit level and that bugs me a little. I want to put a wedge in it to level it out someday.

Shamus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine Is on a rimless. Its solid, but leans forward a little if that makes sense. It still is a nice mount and I like it better than the hanging kit.

Fishface1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is rimmed. The mount is solid, but the weight of the XR30 on the very end of the longest arm makes it dip down about 3/4" from where it should be. It's not really a problem, it would just look better if it was level. I'm mounting from the side to avoid the center bracing and need to be able to reach the center of a 30" wide tank. I'm pushing the extreme limits of this bracket.

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fbodykiller Shamus sekunda2003

Would you be willing to post a picture of your kits on your tanks? As well as anyone else who is using them...[emoji4]

Once I make my tank move later this year, I'll buy some to play around with. I'm sure I'm not the only one yearning to see them in action!

Shamus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426803658.554430.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426803706.506577.jpg

Hard to see the tilt of the light but here are a couple pictures.

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see the tilt of the light but here are a couple pictures.

Here ya go. Not quite up and running yet. Hope to get it wet soon!

Great stuff guys, thanks! Glad to get a couple different views from both the XR30 and XR15. Shamus , I see how yours is extended to the max. This would be a concern of mine as well, having a deep front-to-back myself .
fbodykiller coming along nicely!! I now see SCMatt concern about fan blockage on the XR15. Great showing of the "cosmetic" fix to an ugly eyesore. Hopefully the next models address this issue.

Thanks for sharing!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back