Bean Animal with corner overflows

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read somewhere months ago but cant seem to find it, about doing a Bean Animal design with corner overflows. I remember reading that you have to have the overflow connected. And the suggestion was a coast to coast overflow to connect to 2. Is there somewhere I can purchase/ have this made?
I also think I remember reading something about drilling a hole into each plastic overflow and putting a piece of pvc between the 2 so they were connected. This sounds easier but I also like to idea of c2c skimming. Any ideas would help. I dont have internet but on my phone and it wont let me reply to posts. I will be checking back but cant really reply. Thanks

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up my now second tank with this overflow yesterday( Lee Mar) I would just stick with the initial design, the coast to coast, and either run it internal or external. What your describing seems like it would inhibit the functionality of the weir, but maybe I'm misunderstanding your description.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the full siphon deturmine the water level in the whole tank? About how large should I make the weir and how much of the corner overflow do I have to cut out? What is the best way to cut the overflow? Dremel?

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished a beananimal on my 20 gallon and I love it. The overflow was easier to make than I thought. First I had the tank drilled and I used and 90 elbow to estimate the height of the holes. Then I cut lexan and used an epoxy to join it into a 90 shape the length of the tank. Dry fit to make sure everything fits inside. I used tape on the joint to held hold it together and clamps.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1360841049.236411.jpg

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1360841088.679250.jpg

Then I taped and back taped the over flow into the tank and ran the bead of silicone.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1360841210.671064.jpg

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1360841228.275777.jpg

And finally ran the plumbing.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1360841264.457807.jpg

Holler if you have questions.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the full siphon deturmine the water level in the whole tank? About how large should I make the weir and how much of the corner overflow do I have to cut out? What is the best way to cut the overflow? Dremel?

Yes, but secondary to the actual height of your overflow. Your overflow height will determine your display water level. Not sure what you're referring to in regards to the corner overflow. The coast to coast is drastically superior for surface skimming than a shorter overflow, or two corner overflows. Is the tank already drilled? I've heard of people cutting out the corners on each corner overflow and join them in the middle to create one C2C weir. That'd work as long as all of the top edges are even

OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the new app. Makes R2R on my phone a whole lot easier!

So for the standpipes I should use screw bulkheads and then glue all fitting together adding a union to remove standpipes if necessary. Should I also add unions to the gate valves?

Sent from my LGL75C using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back