Reef Aquarium Fact #293 Grounding probes are a cheap investment that could prevent the loss of lives

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #293

Grounding probes are a cheap investment that could prevent the loss of livestock in the event of a short-circuiting piece of equipment which will release stray voltage into the tank. They're a must have for every tank.

More discussion on grounding probes: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/eq...-discussion/56067-grounding-probe-needed.html

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

groundprobe_zps3695c1df.jpg

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Rev, your bringing up a fun one here! Here it comes. Lol

So are we protecting our fish or ourselves?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO... It was always my understanding that it wont hurt the fish long as the tank isnt grounded because once you ground the tank then it completes the circuit. The grounding rods are for us so we dont get shocked when we put our hand in and complete the circuit. Its like a electric fence. If you stand on a plastic chair and touch it the the electric current wont harm us but once we ground our selves then the current flows through us and we complete the circuit thus getting shocked.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Codemonkey812

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will always suggest GFCI outlets to prevent shock. By grounding your tank you are only masking a problem, not correcting it. If you are worried about it tripping and shutting down your tank, split your equipment between two.

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did the GFI outlets and used the grounding probes..........double check the double check= safer.

KritikaL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had some serious issues with my new build ended up stripping and rebuilding, and was a complete mess, i had brown sludge everywhere and corals were stripping it was the worst thing ever!

Found out it was dc pump leaching electric, got a grounding probe and instantly within 3 days all stripping stopped brown sludge disappeared and stuff looked healthier. I will NEVER run a tank without one again.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the OP's original statement, "could prevent the loss of livestock,"..... just the opposite will happen with a grounding probe. A grounding probe could kill your fish. Without the probe (and a leaking piece of equipment) you have voltage, but no current.....a bird standing on a wire. Once you install a grounding probe, you've created the path for current. It is current that kills.

The best solution to protect your fish would be a GFCI or AFCI/GFCI combination.

I personally have nothing, because I want my tank running and am healthy enough to want to feel that tingle if I have a faulty piece of equipment.

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humm I thought it was good to have a grounding prob.. May look at taking it out now.. after above post.. :neutral:

Back