What kind of refractor do you recommend? Need something to lower Nitrites and Nitrates

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reactor...not refractor, LOL! I recently bought a reactor to help lower Nitrites and Nitrates. It was a cheap one...only $55. It uses bio plastics which arent cheap. Its a piece a crap! I even bought a more powerful pump and it still isnt cycling the pellets much. They get stuck together. I dont have that many in there so that isnt the problem. Ive come to the conclusion that its just a piece of crap!

So, what kind of reactor do you think I should get that will actually work? Do you think I should invest in bio balls too? Would that help? If you guys have any other gadets you know of to help lower my levels, please tell me!

Thanks!

Last edited:

navila06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you mean a bio-pellet reactor ?

not really sure what you mean with a refractor, do you have a link to what you have ?

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the brs reactors - it was ok..too small for my new tank. Moved on to next reef reactors, so far i'm liking them

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having nitrate issues consider carbon dosing it works great. There are lots of good threads here that will here help you learn how it is done.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having nitrate issues consider carbon dosing it works great. There are lots of good threads here that will here help you learn how it is done.
Agreed.
Then a Phosban Reactor

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I meant reactor.

ah OK cool, I've never tried the bio-pellet reactors so I can't comment on their effectiveness but like already stated above this post, you can use a carbon source such as vodka to help lower your nitrates...

there's a lot of info on the proper dosing method for vodka online, basically, you have a starting dosage then a maintenance dosage depending on your water volume, slowly tapering off the dosage until you have your nitrates under control then continue to dose the maintenance dosage to keep nitrates low...vodka dosing also polishes water to a crystal clarity

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Im going to look into NextReef Reactors!
I use the NextReef MR1 dual chamber monster reactor NextReef MR1 Monster GFO and Carbon Filter Media Reactor with BRS GAC and GFO to help with phosphates in my tank, NextReef makes a fine reactor...

if you were referring to a bio-pellet reactor, Avast makes a nice looking media reactor that can be used with their conical bio-pellet mixing nozzle for bio-pellets, they make 3 sizes so they should have 1 to fit your needs AVAST Marine Works - Media Reactors - Category Details

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im more concerned with lowering my Nitrite levels. I see so many ways to lower the Nitrates but not so much Nitrites.

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that also help with Nitrites you think? Its reading off the chart and I know its toxic to the fish. I read Nitrates arent toxic so Im not as concerned about that since its a fish only tank.
ah OK cool, I've never tried the bio-pellet reactors so I can't comment on their effectiveness but like already stated above this post, you can use a carbon source such as vodka to help lower your nitrates...

there's a lot of info on the proper dosing method for vodka online, basically, you have a starting dosage then a maintenance dosage depending on your water volume, slowly tapering off the dosage until you have your nitrates under control then continue to dose the maintenance dosage to keep nitrates low...vodka dosing also polishes water to a crystal clarity

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to redseafish.com and watch some of there videos. They explain carbon dosing in a way that makes it easy to understand.

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you tank has cycled then you should not show any nitrites on a test kit or ammonia. These 2 should get converted pretty fast into nitrates which can be controlled many ways. Nitrates are controlled by water changes, bio pellet reactors (a recirculating model is my only choice here), or vodka dosing. I don't test for nitrites at all in my tank as it has always read 0 after my tank cycled. If you are reading high levels of these on a test kit then you are still cycling or have something else wrong. How long has the tank been set up and what livestock do you have in it?

nanojosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ur test is still reading nitrites then its still cycling or you need more live rock just my .02$

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was cycled and running perfectly with my xl Emperor Angel in it. Then when I added my 12" Queen Trigger...the nitrites and nitrates started to steadily rise and have not come back down even with frequent water changes. One thing I probably did wrong is I added a 10" Arothron Puffer to the tank only 2 weeks after adding the Trigger fish when my levels still werent right.
If you tank has cycled then you should not show any nitrites on a test kit or ammonia. These 2 should get converted pretty fast into nitrates which can be controlled many ways. Nitrates are controlled by water changes, bio pellet reactors (a recirculating model is my only choice here), or vodka dosing. I don't test for nitrites at all in my tank as it has always read 0 after my tank cycled. If you are reading high levels of these on a test kit then you are still cycling or have something else wrong. How long has the tank been set up and what livestock do you have in it?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that also help with Nitrites you think? Its reading off the chart and I know its toxic to the fish. I read Nitrates arent toxic so Im not as concerned about that since its a fish only tank.
The tank isn't done cycling if you still have Nitrites.

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would say adding the large fish quickly probably made it start to mini cycle again! Probably to build up more bacteria to handle the new load as all those fish are pretty large and messy eaters!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back