Those of you running Bio-Pellets, Ppease chime in

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else are you running with them off of this list? UV, Ozone, Refugium, GFO, Carbon, Other - And how many gallons is your system?

I want to see what other combinations of equipment people are using with their pellets. I'm having a really hard time finding the right balance in my system.

Dsjreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gallon with 30 gallon sump. From the overflow, skimmer, refugium, bio pellets. Last water change 7 days ago. No dosing. Just took readings.
Ph - 8.2
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 1
Ammonia - 0
Calcium 400
Magnesium 1200
Alk 10-2

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 gallon. Running just carbon with them right now. I ran GFO for the first couple months and then took it off line. Am actually experimenting with adding potassium nitrate to the tank right now since i believe I was nitrate limited .... and so far so good. Been adding small amount for almost a month plus additional fish feedings ..... brought nitrates up to .5 from 0 so far ...... and phosphates down from .08 to .04.

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you :) will this raise my phosphates too? mine is at 0. my corals look pale and i think they are starving due to lack of nitrate and phosphate. all other bases are covered.

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gal
500ml of ecobak pellets.
Esv carbon

I use Seachem flourish nitrogen to bump my nitrates up. Try to keep it 1 ppm

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u ever try calcium nitrate ? what the difference between calcium and potassium nitrate?

have u ever tried sodium nitrate?

thank you :) will this raise my phosphates too? mine is at 0. my corals look pale and i think they are starving due to lack of nitrate and phosphate. all other bases are covered.

Quick answers for you - and then I think we need to move this to a new thread or pms so we aren't taking this thread off-track anymore on the OP!! Potassium nitrate should not raise phosphate levels ..... my goal was to reduce the phosphate levels while running bio-pellets without using GFO so needed to add a source of nitrate only. Have not tried calcium nitrate or sodium nitrate.

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick answers for you - and then I think we need to move this to a new thread or pms so we aren't taking this thread off-track anymore on the OP!! Potassium nitrate should not raise phosphate levels ..... my goal was to reduce the phosphate levels while running bio-pellets without using GFO so needed to add a source of nitrate only. Have not tried calcium nitrate or sodium nitrate.

Oh ok, i got my phosphates too low by using bio pellets and gfo. be careful cuz those bio pellets are POWERFUL. I've removed by bio pellets and stopped running gfo/carbon 2 weeks ago and even though I've been feeding my fish and corals heavily i still can't get a reading of phosphates or nitrates.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, i got my phosphates too low by using bio pellets and gfo. be careful cuz those bio pellets are POWERFUL. I've removed by bio pellets and stopped running gfo/carbon 2 weeks ago and even though I've been feeding my fish and corals heavily i still can't get a reading of phosphates or nitrates.

I'd say just feed even more rather than dumping nitrate in. Corals eat way more than you would expect in the wild. Home blended coral food, (used to be $5) - Page 3

They don't necessarily consume dissolved organics such as nitrate and phosphate. Otherwise they could be used as a filter like clams and sponges.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say just feed even more rather than dumping nitrate in. Corals eat way more than you would expect in the wild. Home blended coral food, (used to be $5) - Page 3

They don't necessarily consume dissolved organics such as nitrate and phosphate. Otherwise they could be used as a filter like clams and sponges.

Whats a good frozen food to feed SPS? Ive been using reef snow and frozen oyster eggs. any other suggestions that are small enough?

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it and haven't had any problem. It's for freshwater planted tanks.

Derived from: potassium nitrate, urea (iminium salt)

Dosing formula is
.05•(water volume)•(desired increase of nitrate)=ml

Last edited:

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it and haven't had any problem. It's for freshwater planted tanks.

Derived from: potassium nitrate, urea (iminium salt)

Dosing formula is
.05•(water volume)•(desired increase of nitrate)=ml[/QUOT

I'm really terrible at math to my embarrassment. I have 75 gallons of water and I'm trying to get my nitrates from 0.25 to .5 . How much should I dose and how often? And my phosphates are at 0. Trying to use the flourish phosphorous to get it to .03. Is the formula the same? Can't understand why my phosphates are at zero . I feed my corals daily and my fish twice a day. I took my bio pellets, 90% of my chaeto out of my sump a week ago and I also took my gfo and carbon offline two weeks ago. Corals are looking brownish and pale due to no nutrient

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back