OP
OP
Zacco

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this tank a few weeks ago. These are some of the mods I made to the rear filtration area. The first thing to go was the cheap filter sponge JBJ sent with the tank. A 4x8 Inch filter sock now takes It's place with a little acrylic work. Also the tanks return was located in the bottom right hand corner featuring a spray bar to blow under the egg crate the tank shipped with. Since I am not using this tank as a frag tank, but a mini reef, I plugged that hole with Aquarium rubber silicone and added a 1/2" loc-line flare nozzle return in the upper right hand corner.

Reefin_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one over the weekend and was planning on running the Innovative Marine (media reactor & desktop skimmer) but been getting a lot of mixed reviews. Being only 9 inches high, not sure what would be best. For sure making the filter mod on mine.

mOnsterzOas26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may do the filter mod too, I ordered the nano pipeless cadlights skimmer too, I'm just deciding on which led to get , I'm gonna do high end zoas and lps only ..

OP
OP
Zacco

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running a radion XR30w 2nd gen. I have the light about 12 inches above the tank. Perfect light spread. For now im running a mod'ed CPR Bak-Pak i had laying around and a 2 little fishes phosban reactor. I will be getting a nano skimmer but not sure which one yet. I heard the innovated marine skimmers are no good. Looking at the tunze model. The CPR is supported by 2 L brackets underneath the skimmer to take the weight off the rimless glass.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a good idea!

rhino56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
according to some people filter socks are useless and just market hype. I run them and I know they keep my water much cleaner by trapping a ton of food and gunk. I change them often though.

tzsetzse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once upon a time, using a foam block or polyester batting to trap detritus was considered counter-productive. I feel this stance was based upon design rather than function. Back in the day, trickle filters had submerged chambers for sponges and batting usually was placed directly under a spray bar or drip plate. Both of these locations made replacing/cleaning messy and sometimes problematic.
Filter socks may have been in use but were certainly NOT mainstream. Today, socks are available commercially all over the net and LFS. Are they good? Are they bad? Regardless of opinion, they are EASIER to access and clean than ever before. I prefer to siphon mulm from the bear bottom of my sump but to each their own.

OP
OP
Zacco

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not happy with the black sponge filter that came with the tank. First off, it was super hard to remove from the overflow chamber. Water all over the floor. Secondly , by the time you struggled to get the filter sponge out, half the detritus waste would end up back in the tank. I guess outfitting the tank with this type of sponge filter was JBJ's cheap and cost efficient way of doing things. Sorry, JBJ, but this does'nt work for me. Outfitting the tank with a 100 or 200 micron felt filter sock was the only way of doing things right. Filters socks pretty much catch all the waste product and keeps it there. Plus a 100 times easier to remove than that silly sponge. I cut the sponge up and i am using it in the return pump chamber as bacteria surface media.

OP
OP
Zacco

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefin Reefer. The size of the tanks intake chamber was approximately 4 3/4 " wide x 4 1/2" in dept. The first thing i did was to cut the filter sock hole in a larger than needed piece of 3/16" acrylic. I used a 4" hole saw. What is really needed is a 4 1/8" hole saw but could not find one anywhere locally. You just have to work the hole saw by wobbling it side to side after you cut the initial hole. Then sand....sand....sand until the filter sock pops in place snugly. After you have that part done, then go ahead a cut the acrylic to size. You'll have to clip the 4 edges of the top plate in order to clear the silicone holding the tank together. Dry fit that piece and make adjustments as needed. Cut two pieces of acrylic to use as support legs for the top piece. Again accommodating for the tank silicone. Use aquarium silicone and fasten them to the front and back of the filter chamber. Let it set up ( see pics above) the take some coral glue or super glue and fasten the top plate to the support legs. Again let it set up. Silicone in the edges of the top plate in and your done.

BackInTheTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so in for making the filter sock for my overflow area like yours . I have been using filter moss. And it is ok but sucks to remove and change. So Ty for posting this . I can't believe I never thought of it!! Props to you!!

OP
OP
Zacco

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic cover cut. Next project is to make a box cover out of acrylic to hide all that nasty looking filtration equipment. Pics to come!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,261
OP
OP
Zacco

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own stand to fit my needs. I actualy put heavy duty caster wheels on it so i can move it around.

OP
OP
Zacco

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a chance this weekend to build the acrylic box to hide all the filtration equipment. Used up some acrylic i had laying around and bought some 1/16" x 3/4" aluminum angle from Lowes. All i have to do now is spray paint it black when the weather gets warmer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,806
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,192

mOnsterzOas26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good !! May I ask what percentage do you run your radion ? I just got the new radion for the same tank and I don't want to burn my corals .

Back