Marineland Perfecto 90G RR, how should I run my return through the overflow?

sayhy2mark33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, in the process of setting up my Marineland Perfecto 90G RR tank. I'm using the herbie drain system, so both bulkheads are taken up by my drain tubes. Because of this, my return cannot run through the bulkhead. I like the idea of my return coming out of the top of the overflow stack, as it would if I ran my return through the bulkhead. I was going to run my 3/4" fluval ribbed hose up the back of the aquarium and connect it with a rim connector into the overflow stack, and try to connect the Loc-Line plumbing that came with my tank, but I think this setup will require the fluval line to terminate too low in the overflow and the angle will be off. For others using a similar setup to mine with an overflow stack and having to run the return over the back of the aquarium, how are you running your returns, and has anyone found a clean way to shoot the return out the side of the overflow stack?

NOTE: I'd like to avoid running the return directly into the main display so less water back-siphons when the pump is turned off.

The cut-outs for the return are on the left and right side of the stack as shown in the picture.

Overflow Stack.jpg

OP
OP
S

sayhy2mark33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went ahead and sent the return line up the back of the tank and into the overflow section, using a fluval 406 rim connector, then used a barb to make an elbow and attached that to the loc line return nozzles that shoot out of the side of the overflow stack, where the cut-out is. It works well for my application and looks pretty clean. If you need a picture I can take one.

kellerexpress

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pic, it looks great. What did you use for the elbow between the rim connector and the loc line?

OP
OP
S

sayhy2mark33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 3/4" Barb fitting elbow that terminates at the other end with a 3/4" male threaded fitting. The locline adapter uses a 3/4" male threaded fitting, so I joined the two with a 3/4" threaded coupler from Home Depot. It works really well and since the line originates from the overflow stack, if one wanted to use a siphon break hole in the return, it would be very useful here because the water level drops rapidly in the overflow stack once the pump turns off, and would then allow air to enter the return line quickly and break the siphon, before too much back-siphon into the sump took place.

kellerexpress

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I like that a lot, I think ill have to copy you when I build my new tank this summer, thanks again

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back