Sump on concrete? Yes or no

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am setting up a new tank. A 93 gallon cube. Instead of trying to fit a sump under my stand, I wanted something with more water volume. I will be using an Aqueon model 3 sump and I am going to plumb it through my wall and into the storage area behind the wall, in my basement. I am going to be using a 400 halide for this tank and I know there will be heat. So... my thoughts are to put the sump right on the concrete floor and use that as a heat sink. My question is.... ON the concrete floor? Or should there be some sort of padding under the sump? Thanks in advance!

gpdno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put a piece of foam under the tank to take into account any bumps, etc. typically I will but a sheet of 1/4" foam under all my tanks regardless of the surface they are resting on.

OP
OP
CSJIII

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put a piece of foam under the tank to take into account any bumps, etc. typically I will but a sheet of 1/4" foam under all my tanks regardless of the surface they are resting on.

This isn't the tank. I'm curious about my sump sitting on the concrete floor.

gpdno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank, sump, same think. Big piece of glass or acrylic that holds water :)
You want the weight evenly supported and distributed over the entire surface. Otherwise you risk the chance of cracking.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank, sump, same think. Big piece of glass or acrylic that holds water :)
You want the weight evenly supported and distributed over the entire surface. Otherwise you risk the chance of cracking.
Agreed

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a rubber mat under my sumps. It help absorb any vibrations from the pumps and keeps the system quiet. I by it at tractor supply company cut to the length.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be using yoga mats under my sump. Much less breakable than styrofoam lol.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a guy who designed cooling systems for naval vessal electronics, putting the sump on a concrete floor for use as a heat sink is a bad idea:
- Glass isn't a great conductor, acrylic is even less of a heat conductor
- There are bound to be tiny "high points" on the concrete, which will HIGHLY stress the sump tank
- If you were to use thermal paste or its equivalent between a very thin walled bottom of a sump tank, AND got good heat treansfer, AND the concrete conducted heat well, it is possible that your heaters would never be able to get your system up to temp (you have a potentially HUGE thermal mass in the concrete, but are unlikely to get decent transfer)

Use styrofoam, it is a great equalizer for load.

A much better cooling solution is a fan to blow accross the surface of your sump tank. you can even tie it to a controller. Evaporative cooling is pretty powerful, even if it increases the use of your top off water.

Back