Opinions needed on running Eheim 1262 externally.

biggE3415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short. Tank is 180g, stand is solid acrylic with only 27" inside height. I'm running a reef octopus sro 3000 Skimmer. I have very little room for sumps so getting the return pump out of the way would be beneficial. I just don't know how much flow it would reduce and if I have to worry about the housing leaking in the future.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Eheim will operate the same internally or externally but will transmit more noise externally. How do you plan to plumb it? Is your sump drilled for a pump suction line? Preferrably you want the suction bulkhead one size larger than the pumps suction size and you will need room for a ball or gate valve and a union, or tru union ball valve to isolate the pump for maintenance. If you don't have sufficient room for the valve on the suction then get a PVC plug which can be installed on the inside of the bulkhead when you need to unscrew the union to pull the pump for cleaning. You also want to keep the pump suction in a straight line with the sump if possible to reduce fittings and suction head losses. It oftenends up taking up a lot of valuable real estate in the stand versus submerging it in the sump.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I used a 1262 externally on my 240 and it was very quiet.
I will be using a new 1262 externally on my new 233.
Great pump IMO.
Never had problems with leaks.

OP
OP
B

biggE3415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what my plan is to run a split system. Skimmer and bubble trap in one sump and a refugium in the other I will end up drilling both and using a t into the return pump. I would over size the lines coming from sumps probably a 1 1/2" line from each sump then down to a 1" to return pump. The problem with this stand is the internal height. A 40b is 16" high that only gives me 11"of clearance to get Skimmer out if i ever need to.

OP
OP
B

biggE3415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think 1.5" coming from both sumps then down to 1" at the t will be sufficient? Or should I bump it up to 2"

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think as long as you use 1.5" for the tee also and reduce it to the 1" as close to the pump as possible you will be fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back