Flow meters

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that I purchased from a good friend that took down his 1000 gallon setup and he used it all over his system in different places. It is a Midwest Instruments & Controls paddle wheel flow meter with read out display and is a pricey unit. It was places in the plumbing to the UV (he had a custom built unit and it required a precise flow), skimmer, etc. with 2 unions on each end and dial in the flow to what equipment needs with gate valves. It was mainly used off the return pump in his system and would tell how much flow was going back to tank and also if pump flow stopped it would alarm him through his apex since sump was in basement fish room. Is it a must have item probably not for most systems, but he sold it to me at a good price and will go on my setup once I start the build as my sump will also be on a lower level. It is also nice to look at the read out to see how much water is actually flowing through the pipe to a piece of equipment! The only downside is that the pipe size is only 1" for the flow meter but didn't seem to matter even though his plumbing was 1.5" and 2" in most of his system and had plenty of flow as will I on my system. :)

OP
OP
DontMakeNoSense

DontMakeNoSense

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv been looking at the GPI ones. I just want to know what my flow is for the return and the media reactor. When I do my 300 build I want about 2800 gph going back into the tank. That give me about 7x turn over rate

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are neat devices to have and was lucky to snag the one I got at a great price. Just make sure that it is made of all plastic or at least plastic and stainless steel with the one I have it does have some high grade stainless used as the shaft, but after it was on his tank for over 5 years I see no rust or any problems. It also has a plug that you can put in its place in case you need to clean it or send it in for a battery change every 7 years. I will also have to look at the GPI units that you mentioned.

OP
OP
DontMakeNoSense

DontMakeNoSense

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Called GPI today found out about what flow meter to run. All there flow meters that we need for our hobby only reads GPM. So you would need to take the flow you want divide by 60 to get you GPM for my return I want 2700 GPH so that comes out to about 45 GPM. The part number I need for my return is TM100-N and my media reactor would be TM075-N. They run off battery power so once dialed in you are good to go.

OP
OP
DontMakeNoSense

DontMakeNoSense

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$360 for the 100 and $315 for the 075. That is the list price. Bet we could find cheaper online. Also there is no copper components. I bet if we got enough people who wanted them we could get a group buy going.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back