Sump as a qt?

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am sitting here on vacation 5 hours from my tank and of course it is in my mind:D

I set up my sump backwards for the sole purpose of using it as a small frag tank. I am now trying to figure out if there is a way to use it as a coral qt as well? I know aefw are great swimmers and I also know alot of people have frag tanks plumbed into their main displays and wonder how they do it?

I might could take a long filter sock and place it in front of the overflow teeth going into the skimmer section of my sump? Got to figure out a way my garage qt will not last once the summer heat rolls around. Any ideas? Here is the sump

20130713_151729_zps6801e492.jpg

OP
OP
nova65ss

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking to myself here :)

20130724_221104_zpsd4bfd195.jpg

Ok so as you can see I have two drains one into the sock one into the fuge side of my sump. I can turn the valve completely off when I want to use as qt and just put a powerhead and heater in there and it will act as a stand alone tank. I figured when I do a water change I can take water from the fuge/qt and then replenish by draining display water back into the fuge/qt not allowing any to get into the return side. When I am done with qt I can drain the water clean and either leave empty or use as a standard fuge or frag tank.

Benefit to me is no additional tank in house wife is happy and I am already using water that I know is good and similar to where it will be when moved to the display?

Thoughts? :confused:

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using as a QT wouldn't be advised. If I remember reading correctly even though diseases such as ich will not affect coral it can still reside on them, if the coral in this introduced to your sump/qt the disease can easliy be put into the DT infecting all your fish. QT tanks are supposed to be 100% separate for that reason and so you can medicate.

OP
OP
nova65ss

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry not a fish qt it would be used for coral only to ensure no pests. Also in the way I am talking it would be completely seperate from the main tank. Thanks!

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you are saying. However, I think due to those open notches to the regular drain side, it is just too risky. Not to mention, things can crawl. I think you would be better off with a different system. Use that section as a refugium or frag area, not as QT.

Tradewinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i not mistaken you could always just dip the corals to kill the pests
I don't believe dipping will kill the eggs that pests may have laid.

I understand what you are saying. However, I think due to those open notches to the regular drain side, it is just too risky. Not to mention, things can crawl. I think you would be better off with a different system. Use that section as a refugium or frag area, not as QT.
I agree with Squishie, by definition a QT is separate from the rest of the world.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purpose of a Quarantine Tank is to have is secluded to its own water sources. Just because it is a "sump" and away from the DT does not mean its safe. You are still sharing the same water so anything can still be spread. Sure...it would be cool to say, check out my sump/qt system...but it defeats the purpose of a QT system.

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purpose of a Quarantine Tank is to have is secluded to its own water sources. Just because it is a "sump" and away from the DT does not mean its safe. You are still sharing the same water so anything can still be spread. Sure...it would be cool to say, check out my sump/qt system...but it defeats the purpose of a QT system.

My thoughts exactly, water could splash through the teeth on the baffle and contaminate the rest

OP
OP
nova65ss

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh well wishful thinking. My current qt is in the garage but with summer coming it will get too hot and it is not worth getting a chiller for.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back