Lighting for a 2.5ft v 2.5ft area? SPS goal.

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that my tank is back on track, the Reefbreeders Value LED is no longer cutting it from a coverage standpoint. Its going to be an SPS dominated reef in the long run.

I see I have a few options

Option 1: Sell Value LED, buy 2x Photon 24's.
Option 2: Keep Value LED, buy 1x LED light and upgrade the value later
Option 3: Keep Value LED, buy one metal hallide
Option 4: Keep Value LED, buy one T5 unit.

What do you guys think I should do while trying to keep the cost to a minimum?

Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to get a lot of answers on this.

I prefer leds and t5 supplement since I switched to it. But if you're looking for cost being cheaper in long run, another led unit might be the best. But then it also comes down to you'll probably upgrade that one as well. So in the end, is the amount of money you'll save over 5 years going to be sufficient to get another led unit if you have to buy another upgraded one in the future.

Or go with a Halide lol pretty cheap and doesn't really get evolved since it's in my opinion in it's prime and last form

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had the Value LED on one side, and the halide on the other, would it look weird, or will the colors blend reasonably well?

Or I guess I could get one photon 24 now and that would at least provide coverage on one side.

Last edited:

wildcrazyjoker81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would look weird probably. Two complete different spectrums of light. Adding T5's is the cheapest and easiest. They will also add more pop to your SPS with some true actinic bulbs.

wildcrazyjoker81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ATI Bulbs all the way. Really comes down to how many your going to add as far as color goes. Everyone likes something a bit different. I don't use LED's personally as I only run MH/T5 or all T5. In a two bulb combo I would probably run just a Blue plus and a true actinic. for a 4 bulb i run 2 blue plus, 1 purple plus and 1 coral plus.

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run t5 in my tank and so do tons of other successful reefs so that's what I would suggest, a good 6 or 8 bulb t5 setup with ATI bulbs is all you need for light for sps

wildcrazyjoker81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are the fixture options I meant sorry. I've read ati bulbs are the only way.

That all depends on budget. ATI Sunpower or PM's are the best hands down. They are strong enough to grow sps on the sand bed all day long. Tek fixtures are nice too. Not quite as strong, but a little more affordable. If your staying cheap then any Current, Odyessa, etc T5 will work in a pinch and still grow coral. Just be prepared to change out the bulbs a little more frequently. Any reason why you don't just do a T5 retro? ReefGeek has some phenomenal pricing on parts. Parts & Accessories ? ReefGeek

wildcrazyjoker81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could probably. LEDs are cheaper in the long haul, but start reading around and you will see tons of people adding t5 to their LEDs or going back to MH/T5. Either way both are a good option.

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep fixture you have and do 2 bulb t5 retro kit. Or sell what you have and buy an ATI 8 bulb sunpower .

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back