Skimmer problem

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a reef octopus nw-110-...., The big problem is that i keep having to check to see if the foam head is still going. Just about every day i have to mess with the valve to make a foam head. Now its been 24Hrs and i cant get the foam head to start back up. Has anyone had this problem. The water lvl outside stays at like 6.5 and keep the inner water lvl just at the neck of the cap. The reef octopus skimmer is starting to be a big problem with my reef tank...Need some help in this area!!!!

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about that specific skimmer but I was running my RO skimmer at 7 inches water depth and it didnt impress me. Raised the water lvk toa 9.5 inches it's running much better now!

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I have a diablo 225 xs. It's got the psk 1000 pump in the base so that puts it a bit taller I guess. Recommended water height 6.5 - 10". Just didn't know your skimmer. Mine is working much better at the deep water lvl.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a SRO 3000 xp-int. Had the bubbleblaster 3000 pump. Skimer was happy with the vavle partially submerged.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was just researching that model mstanker, recommended water level is 7-8 inches

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo (2).jpg

i have it in 7.5 now and still not making a foam head. but lets say 3 days ago it was producing skimmate. Is there a thing where there is no skimmate to be made?

This is the skimmer and all its been doing is making those bubbles and not skimmate.

Last edited:

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some stuff about air quality having something to do with skimmer production. Idk. Also if your using any chems they seem to mess with skimming alot.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a carbon reactor in the sump, but its after the skimmer. I dont know if its going to hurt my tank because the skimmer has not made skimmate in 3 days.

Roty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the looks of the pic is working fine if your just wanting it to collect. Be patient and make sure your water level stays consistent your probably just not producing allot of nutrients

Roty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on if you have coral and the types you don't want to run carbon too long 4 days Max

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals are torch,duncan,tube worm, one type of sps , GSP, candy cane,xenia, that's it. For fish its 2 clowns and 2 cardinals, 1 goby.

h2pvnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start feeding more make water little dirty. I run mine at 7.5" to 8" at feeding two time a day with corals feeding at night.

bobstir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't have that skimmer, but i had perhaps a similar issue. Basically, on my skimmer (seaside aquatics es-7) there is a air intake tube that connects to a chamber at the top. The chamber had a bunch of saltcreep in it -- likely b/c i don't turn the skimmer off when i turn off my pumps and the water level reaches the chamber. In any case, all i had to do is clean out the chamber and the problem went away.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back