Power bar / cabinet electronics

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of trying to organize underneath my tank and get my electronics cleaned up. Is there a waterproof power bar out there that people use or a special setup to reduce the risk of water damage? How do people organize this stuff? Love to have your inputs! Thanks

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of trying to organize underneath my tank and get my electronics cleaned up. Is there a waterproof power bar out there that people use or a special setup to reduce the risk of water damage? How do people organize this stuff? Love to have your inputs! Thanks

Honestly I have power strips mounted right above my sump and there has been no problems after 3 years.

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest/cheapest thing to do is to mount it on a wall in your cabinet so it can't accumulate water and if you're worried about condensation, get a small fan that blows across the surface of the strip.

ViktorVaughn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend the same as jimbo. Space was really limited so I just built my own small cabinet to house all of my power strips, controllers, and dosing equipment. Only chance for it to get wet is if my tank bursts.

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i appreciate the replies, thanks! I have space under my tank as I don't have a sump (in tank box filter sump-esque set-up; old DAS aquarium for those who know of it). I would not be allowed to place another cabinet next to the tank either, wife forbade it lol. Good tips. I figured it was simply a straight power bar as I couldn't find any water proof bars locally. I'm gonna re-configure it all and clean up it. The goal for it all is to get some space for my water reservoir for my up coming ATO.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the DJ style strips as well; just added a second. They have pros and cons. No complaints so far...
138205d1396469705-jeffs-150-build-salt-box-power_supplies_sm.jpg

deedeesdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put drip loop in your cords and install one of them outlets with the breaker built in so if worse does come to worse it will trip out before any real damage occurs

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a server cabinet, that has spots to attach power strips. It works well, and mounts on the wall beside my tank. The biggest threat to electronics, is the case of an overflow, but just general maintenance drips saltwater, which is a problem if it hits electrical components. Having a separate cabinet makes for easy maintenance, and keeping all your power strips up high, guarantees that, in the case of a flood, they stay dry. Also, make sure all your aquarium equipment is hooked into a GFCI, preferably a GFCI outlet, wired in by an electrician. If current were to ever travel through an aquarium, while you were working on it, the result I cannot imagine. A GFCI prevents that.

On another note, most marine aquarium related equipment, can handle getting splashed with a little saltwater and be alright. If you submerge or douse any of it, it's toast.

Trevor W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was fortunate enough to have some extra space beside my tank so I purchased a cheap storage bench and very easily made a false bottom to store/hide all my electronics.

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the bench solution with the hidden bottom. More storage space for equipment too! Very nice

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea and job in doing so Trevor, I like it!

Cheers, Todd

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy outdoor purposed power strips, they do better under the conditions we put them under.

+1. Iver had my powerstrips and electrical under the tank, in the stand with the sump for years. A few months back, I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I was doing a bit of cleaning in the stand, and watched as a spark came off on of my outlets. I was lucky enough to act fast, unplug/turn off the unit, and sustained nothing other than a burnt plug and needed a new power strip. Since then, Ive moved all outlets and power units outside of the tank. Too much possible corrosion, and moisture damage.

Wrx5803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hid everything in a swing down panel above my sump. The stand is made of 2x6s so I have about 5 inches of room. Enough for my recessed par38 sump lights.

Attachments

• 1406941620475.jpg
    1406941620475.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 354
  • 1406941645236.jpg
    1406941645236.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 352

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back