Wavemaker auto top off mod

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wave maker and an auto top off that's a float switch I do not have a sump nor is it an all in one. Tank has a hob filter and internal skimmer. Wondering if someone has had this issue but figured a simple design for the autotop off to not be affected by the wave maker when set on actually making waves. Any ideas?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a very very hard call. Two ideas and unfortunately both involve use of a controller.

1. if you know your evap rate, you can always set a timer to have the ATO on for X minutes and then off for y minutes. MY ato runs for three and then cannot be kicked back on for 30. it usually fires on in 45 mins.

2. Stop your wave maker pumps for 30 seconds and let the wave flatten. then your ato can power on and it can get a better reading. during this period. (wow, I typed this and then realized it was pretty moronic.) ZUmmmm..... See idea #1.

lastly you could build a protected box for the float. with just enough holes in it to stabilize the water but not enough to allow much wave inside.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back