Moon lighting?

StillReefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I know this has probably been brought up before but I am very currious on what the communities input is on moon light for my tank. I have a 34 gallon 20x20x20 tank being sps dominant. I am in the market for a light that would work for that application, any I input on products would be appreciated? :rockon:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those led strips off eBay are great moonlights. There like $2 each and you can connect them to most DC power supplies. I connected one to an old 5.5V phone charger and it's too bright for my liking on my 24. I'd only need 2 or 3 on my 120.
Most people have old chargers laying around so that's free and electrical tape is like $2 as well. For $4 you have a pretty decent moonlight.

OP
OP
S

StillReefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank Tyler! I will look into those, I am an astro physicist by trade so I know the moon is not a blue but not sure if 10 to 20 feet down it changes. You have any input of the kelvin rating? I was thinking 10 k

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I have 450nm lol. They have a warm white and a cool white but I don't know if they specify a kelvin rating. Some sellers may, but i don't remember seeing it. I imagine around 3000k and 6500K, but I'm speculating. The 450nm I have makes the corals fluoresce really well.
Maybe get a blue and a white and it may give a nicer colour for you?

stiky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The benefits to moon lights are that no reef is absolutely dark. There is always some amount of light depending on moon cycle. The nice blue effect adds color and doesn't throw off the fish. A white light is acceptable but more disturbing to aquatic life the brighter it gets. Blue is the way to go. And it looks great too. I bought mine off eBay. 4ft strip for 20 bucks(not necessary). You could prob get away with single led's on a tank that small.

Sun1914

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually on eBay looking for these today. Can one of you guys add the link to the leds you have experience with please.

Sun1914

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, those are the same ones I have been watching.
Looking to light a 48" Deep Blue 75g. Would you recommend 2 24" strips or would one 3ft strip do?

stiky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 180 gallon I had one 6ft strip. It's plenty of light. It's up to you though. With 2 strips you could offset them a little so it had front and back coverage but one strip would be plenty. Very bright. Makes the coral colors pop.

Sun1914

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no cover, so I would have to mount lights along the front or back of the tank. Overflow is in the middle so back may not be possible.

Ps. Sorry to Jack your thread StillReefin.

Roty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your self the favor make the hobby easy and enjoyable buy something with warranty hangable also anything with full spectrum is preferable

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your self the favor make the hobby easy and enjoyable buy something with warranty hangable also anything with full spectrum is preferable

I personally wouldn't drop several hundred dollars on something that fits that criteria just to dial it down to like 5 or 10% when a $5 DIY light will do the exact same job. I also wouldn't go full spectrum on a moon light.
Just my 2c.

TUT.Bellon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm Jake and I'm new to this hobby. I also have lighting questions. I already have a blue fluorescent light, does this simulate moonlight also?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm Jake and I'm new to this hobby. I also have lighting questions. I already have a blue fluorescent light, does this simulate moonlight also?

Hi jake, welcome to r2r.
Basically you want your moonlight to be bright enough so you can see the basic rock work shapes, but dull enough that you can't see detail. That way it's bright enough for us to see what's going on, but dull enough that it's still "night time" and your day time fish will sleep and nocturnal fish will wake up. I hope that makes sense lol.

TUT.Bellon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it. So I guess the lights I have in there is just for the blue effect

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it. So I guess the lights I have in there is just for the blue effect

I won't get too much into it because this conversation could go on for a long time, but the blue part of the light spectrum has a large peak that will allow your corals to photosynthesise. In other words the blue light is there for the cool effects, but it's also necessary for the corals to produce food. The white lights are there so it doesn't look like the fish are swimming in windex lol.
Check out Lighting spectra, Photosynthesis, and You https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100170 for a far more scientific look into how corals react to light. It's a great read and there's alot if important information in it.
If you only have fish, then yes the blue is just there for looks :)

TUT.Bellon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, I've been doing some research, but honestly haven't found much information besides them mentioning moonlight

EndlessReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then do you all leave your moon lights on all night and have no black out time and have them kick off when your light schedule kicks back on? Just curious. Thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back