How many sump pumps?

thefunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am laying out my new 125 and I am unsure about the return pump. I know my overflows are about 600 gallons. Should I run 1 pump at about 530 gallons. I have 2 overflows so my thought was maybe 1 pump each overflow at 290 gallons each. Not sure if it's overkill or not just wanted some feedback

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one pump and have an identical spare. I run an external pump to reduce heat. It also runs my skimmer and 7 frag tanks.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime you add gear you should be thinking about watts, which equal heat, more pumps means more watts.
Best really is just use one return and split it.

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd run only one pump for the return as well. I have a waveline DC6000 as my return and I just ordered a DC3000 for my reactors.

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pumps doesn't necessarily mean more watts.

It's entirely possible that running 2 bigger pumps at their minimum flow rating could be less wattage than 1 smaller pump at its max.

I like the idea of buying a pump bigger than you need and running it on low.

2 reasons for this.
1) It's always better to run motors below their max output - especially if it's running 24/7.
2) If and when you do decide to upgrade to a bigger tank, you can turn up your pump rather than buying a new one.

I bought a Sicce 3.0 for my 40B with 20g sump. The 2.0 would have been just fine for my setup, but for an extra $20, the 3.0 lets me run at the lowest setting and also allows me to crank up the flow if I ever wanted to change my tank setup, or if I wanted to go bigger.

just my $.02

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to consider the pumped height when sizing pumps. the gallons/hour pumping water at 0 height is a whole lot more then when the water is pumped up 4-5 feet or so.

my. 02

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you size your pump correctly there should be no need to restrict it, and more than overflow, it should be about drain size.
If you buy a bigger pump than needed as suggested, you are almost certainly just dumping watts, so why??
Typically most aim for about 3-5x turnover for a return pump unless you are T'ing off to other gear or something, the rest of the flow in display via PH's or loop.
For your 125 I would be looking at something similar to an eheim 1260, (great pumps) around 500-600gph, and split that to both returns, tunze also makes a nice return, those DC's are pretty low in watts, but they are relatively new still, had some bugs to work out not long ago.
There are flow charts that will tell you what your drains can handle.

Back