In the market for a new sump - have questions

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm in the market for a new sump. Mine is simply inadequate, home made, and I need a little more space. I'm considering Synergy and Trigger systems right now. I'm limited on space, and really need a 28" long sump, but could make a 30" work.

I'm interested to hear opinions on both. There is a relatively significant cost delta between Synergy and Trigger and I'm not so sure why. I'm hoping that the R2R gang can help me out.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I've never used either, a friend of mine has the trigger and loves it. Looks like a very nice sump but to me it seems you could probably make better use of space in a DIY. Have you contacted advance acrylics or Melev? Great work from both places and you could get a custom design to suit your needs

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I've never used either, a friend of mine has the trigger and loves it. Looks like a very nice sump but to me it seems you could probably make better use of space in a DIY. Have you contacted advance acrylics or Melev? Great work from both places and you could get a custom design to suit your needs

Good thoughts. I've not reached out to either.

I love my eshopps just my thoughts on it

Thanks.

27ppatel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great White Sps Sump

This concept is simple yet effective. The first chamber is made for Vertex 180i and calcium reactor. Second chamber is a simple return pump and an ATO compartment.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 931
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 447
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 517
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 452
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 544
OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This concept is simple yet effective. The first chamber is made for Vertex 180i and calcium reactor. Second chamber is a simple return pump and an ATO compartment.

I agree that it is simple and effective. What sump is it? What are the dimensions? Where can it be found?

I really want a sump that will allow me to run socks from time to time. My problem right now is my stand. I don't have the room for a sump that would really allow me to get the best out of my system so I either have to get one that fits the stand, or build a new stand. If I build a new stand, I might as well upgrade tanks. If I upgrade tanks, I have an unhappy wife. Decisions, decisions......As much as I had the idea of irritating the wife, the upgrade idea is really attractive.

27ppatel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it is simple and effective. What sump is it? What are the dimensions? Where can it be found?

I really want a sump that will allow me to run socks from time to time. My problem right now is my stand. I don't have the room for a sump that would really allow me to get the best out of my system so I either have to get one that fits the stand, or build a new stand. If I build a new stand, I might as well upgrade tanks. If I upgrade tanks, I have an unhappy wife. Decisions, decisions......As much as I had the idea of irritating the wife, the upgrade idea is really attractive.

The sump is [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]32.38"x18.5"x16" LxWxH. I still have to add a filter sock holder to it. thinking about making a portable concept which I can remove with the holder. Upgrades are always good! :p but yes I completely agree about the wife scenario. I got it done from Primo Reef acrylics. fits perfect in my stand. I wanted something that was open as possible for me to access the equipment. a total of 40gallons. [/FONT]

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the sumps I'm considering right now. I'm interested to hear what people have to say.

Model E Sump | Melev's Reef

This will fit very well in my existing stand. I just need to confirm a few things. I'd prefer to have a sock in lieu of a bubble tower.

Precision Marine Refugium

This will not fit as well in my existing stand. While doable, it's not going to be as good as the one from Melev.

Advanced Acrylics - Advanced Sump Series (Multiple Sizes)

This will also fit well into my existing stand in the 24" variety.

Synergy Sump 28 [SS-28] - $374.99 : Synergy Reef Systems, Quality Marine Aquarium Products!

So far, the above is the best fit for my stand and my needs.

Crystal Specs | Trigger Systems

This is the 30" variety is an option however the 30" length is a little more challenging for the way my stand is laid out.

On the heels of all of this is the thought that I may want to simply upgrade the stand to maximize my sump area. This is also in consideration. I would like to upgrade at some point in the future and if I plan properly now, build a new stand with adequate space, laid out the way I want it, then the upgrade becomes simple. All I need to do is swap tanks and I'd be good. My upgrade would be 42" x 30" x 16". Right now I'm running 36" x 18" x 16".

What do you guys think? What would you do? I'm somewhat concerned about timing as I need the sump sooner than later.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, over the holiday weekend I decided to pull the trigger on a new sump. I bought a Trigger Systems Ruby. I also decided I'd build a new stand. Since I'm building a new stand, I figured I'd give my whole system an upgrade.
Trigger Systems Elite 30 RubySump

Since I'm going to do a bit of a system refresh, I'm planning on getting some new rock. I also plan on buying a rubbermaid stock tank to temporarily hold my stock until the system is refreshed.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been building my own. Cheaper and you have it how you want it

Yeah....I thought about that, but decided against it. I've got little time for DIY, so I'm focusing my DIY time and effort on a new stand.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back