WP40 vs MP40

dbg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WP40 is considerably cheaper than the MP40. What experiences good/bad have you had with these? I'm leaning towards getting a WP40 in my 90g tank for some wave motion.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WP pumps work awesome. You really can't beat them for the price.

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ agreed.

I have a WP-40, a WP-25 and a Vortech MP-10 on my mixed 120 (48x24x24). I have the WP's in the corners facing in and up and the MP on the back wall in the middle, 6 inches from the top.

All three pumps work great, but the only one I can hear from the living room 10 feet away in the MP-10.

Ecotech is a great company, customer service rocks, but the cost of these pumps is just crazy to me.

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the flow pattern of the MPs to be gentler, particularly directly in front. The WPs are like fire hoses imo. I have an mp40, 2 mp10s, 2 WPs 10s and 2 wp25s. I can't image the flow from the wp 40.

sirreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
choff is correct. The flow from the MP is wider and the wp is more stream. I have both and love them. The MP is louder then the WPs. The new Jeboe pumps are much more like the MP flow. The RW15 flows and is sized close to the same as the WP40 MP40. The flow is wider then the WP but still not quit as wide as the MP. For the price and the flow patern the RW15 is my choice. I am not sure why they used new numbers on these but just for the this post the RW4= WP10. RW8=WP25. RW15=WP40. and the RW20 =the WP60. The RWs are a little bit more then the WP but check them out. prices are about 20% more then the WPs but you can link multi controls togather wireless.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two MP40's and looking to buy a MP60. I never had a WP powerhead and probably won't.

You pay to play, the vortech's are great powerheads and can be a bit of a pain since you have to align them but look much better in the display. Also, IMO people who don't expect noise or complain about noise coming from the vortech's lack some common sense. The motor goes on the outside of the tank so of course it will be louder than a powerhead that is completely submerged. The best thing to do is not run the powerheads more than 50-60% so its noise would be kept to a minimum. Running them at lower percentages also keep the cool and I would think much better for the unit.

If you will have to break the piggy bank to get a Vortech, don't get it. You can get sufficient flow with any powerhead if you play with them enough. However, if you have some excess money and aren't intimidated about the price go with the vortech's you won't be let down.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jebao-
pro- inexpensive and directional
con- you see it in the display tank

ecotec-
pro-cant really see it in the display
con-3x cost of jebao, cant direct flow, loud....

Just_me_Dupree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just ditched my 2 wp40's for 2 MP40's...Besides the price I do prefer the MP40's over the WP40's. I also had 1 wp40 stop working after 4 months of use and the controllability isn't all its cracked up to be IMO.

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of the WP-25s in my 110tall and love them. I added a controller from JBWave to sync them up like the MP pumps and I am golden. Just keep in mind that a WP-40 and an MP-40 are just numbers... The WP-40 has significantly more flow. If you were considering an MP-40, then seriously consider a WP-25 instead.

Also consider the new RW pumps from Jebao. They sync with each other wirelessly. You can have one master pump control a large number of slave pumps. The price on these is about the same as the WP pumps and I am told that the flow is a little less direct.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
choff is correct. The flow from the MP is wider and the wp is more stream. I have both and love them. The MP is louder then the WPs. The new Jeboe pumps are much more like the MP flow. The RW15 flows and is sized close to the same as the WP40 MP40. The flow is wider then the WP but still not quit as wide as the MP. For the price and the flow patern the RW15 is my choice. I am not sure why they used new numbers on these but just for the this post the RW4= WP10. RW8=WP25. RW15=WP40. and the RW20 =the WP60. The RWs are a little bit more then the WP but check them out. prices are about 20% more then the WPs but you can link multi controls togather wireless.

+1 to everything in this post. I wouldn't compare the WP40 to a MP40 as much as I would compare a RW-15 to a MP40 (the WP's seem to be more closely modeled after the Tunze pumps IMO). As has been stated, the flow is supposed to be wider in the RW-15 with something of an undertow (similar to the MP40) while the WP40 definitely moves some water but more in a straight stream. I currently have 2 WP40s on my 180, but I am about to swap them out for 2 RW-15s (they arrive TODAY!!) because I want the wider flow.

Last edited:

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a second MP40 today; just can't beat the aesthetics IMO. Are the WP's programmable, or synchronous?

jokervueboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1X MP40 = $395.25 Flow Range: 1,000-3,200 GPH
Name brand with VERY nice design

1XWP40 = $64.00 900GPH to 3400GPH
Cheap affordable same punch

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 the first month they came out. Last month 1 of them stopped working in wave mode. (Impeller would stop between waves) I contacted fish street and they asked for $25 shipping and sent out a replacement pump within the week.

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't lack common sense, the MP is just louder.

Frankly, I have never understood the "no cords in the tank" pitch on Vortechs. I view the tank from the outside in, and do not want anything obstructing that view, not algae, not veggie clips, and not the dry side of a pump. I have a 120 with dual megaflows and the WP's tuck nicely in along side of them, so that from where I view the tank regularly in the living room, none of the powerheads are visible.

Having said that, the Vortech design is great for placing pumps on the back wall facing forward, as they take up so little real estate. Which is exactly where I have my MP-10 positioned.

edwardw771

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a chance to see the new Maxspect "RipTide" Gyre demo unit last night. This thing will blow away any other pumps on the market when it comes out. I currently own MP40s, WP40 and WP60s. The WP40 recently stopped working. Guess what happeneded when I tried to get support for the pump. No one replied to me from Jebao Co.,Ltd.
Buyer beware with these things they just die randomly and Good luck getting help fixing it. The pump was less than a year old.

jsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wp's are out dated not. It's all about the rw's. Have two rw8's on my tank and they are so much quieter than my old mp.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Almost apples to oranges. I think the jeboas are much more comparable to the tunze streams in design and functionality. The only thing they really have in common with the vortechs is that they are a propellar pump. Where the jeboas are basically a rev engineered version of the streams

I have owed a few of them and ultimately for the price you can't complain but I was still paranoid of the build quality causing some catastrophic problem. Not really warranted but I feel better with tunzes and vortechs sharing the same water is my entire sps collection :nerd:

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who buy MP anything are just name brand buyers who try to have the "best" to show off to their non-existent friends. Yes, I know a person. They claim they don't like that "inch of a wire in the water" just to prove their point their ear-muff looking powerheads are worth it.

WP or the newer Jebao's work better IMO and cheaper. I compared an MP10 with a WP and I personally liked the WP better.

MP's

0001389348799_500X500.jpg

Last edited:

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 x MP40's for several years in my 4x2x2 120g. Overall, seems fine with free floating particles drifting slowly or hopping along the sand. I needed more flow in the back of the tank and picked up an WP10 and WP25. The WP25 is crazy strong and had things flying everywhere. Perhaps I need to play with the settings more but the minimum setting is 50%, which still seems too strong. I took the WP25 out and put in the WP10. The WP10 on the other hand is tiny, but puts out more flow than I thought, however might be a little too weak to reach all the way 4 feet to the other end.

Overall, the question is durability. I had problems with my MP40's with the wetside, but that is because I never washed them after the first year, and the algae and gunk got stuck in there a few times and seized up the shaft and bearing. More frequent cleaning should make it last much longer. Dry side still good. We'll see how long the Jebao's last.

As far as people saying the Vortec's look better, I would say somewhat. The WP's are still pretty small, barely larger than the MP wetsides, but if you combined the Wet Side and Dry Side, the MP's are larger overall.

The MP's are also noisier, which is one reason I may switch out to all WP's. The tank is in my office, so I'm listening to it all day. Not that loud, but would be nice for a little more quiet.

Last edited:

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't lack common sense, the MP is just louder.

Frankly, I have never understood the "no cords in the tank" pitch on Vortechs. I view the tank from the outside in, and do not want anything obstructing that view, not algae, not veggie clips, and not the dry side of a pump. I have a 120 with dual megaflows and the WP's tuck nicely in along side of them, so that from where I view the tank regularly in the living room, none of the powerheads are visible.

Having said that, the Vortech design is great for placing pumps on the back wall facing forward, as they take up so little real estate. Which is exactly where I have my MP-10 positioned.

Yes the MP is louder, but someone not understanding that before they purchase it than going and complaining about it is just silly.

I don't know about you but I only view my tank from the front pane as do most people due to location. So that shouldn't obstruct any views regardless. Even than, "traditional style" powerheads will obstruct a view if placed on a side wall as well.. so I still have a hard time understanding how vortechs could be any worse at that.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back