Best Heater money can buy?!

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have read about disasters that have to do with heaters: either malfunctioning and frying a tank or malfunctioning and letting a tank get dangerously cold…..
Any suggestions on a reliable, safe heater that would go in my refugium? one that is reliable and keeps stable temps? I have a total volume of about 100gallons including tank and fuge…. and no I don't have a controller… yet…. but have dosing pumps and programmable LEDs etc so just a matter of time for a controller….. but nevertheless…. which is the bestest of the best?!?!?

thanks!!!

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure any titanium heater is the way 2 go. 2 of them maybe 200 watts each for that much water. That's what I have. There on my controller though.

HVAC Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get 2-250/300 watt Eheim Jaegers and spent $75 on a Ranco control to run them and have a quick visual on temp.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finnex Titanium heater with a Rancor or other Aquarium Controller. Have a primary and a backup with their turn on/off temps slightly staggered. The most reliable system money can buy.

OP
OP
Z

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for your replies! I will follow this advice about 2 titanium heaters and the controller.
BTW I do try to control my tank temp with my home thermostat. This seems easier in the summer especially because I use a DC return pump and LED lights and generate very little heat…. In the winter though this backfires and at times I definitely see the heater working….

CausticGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem with the Hydor or the Eheim/Jager heaters. I have had a Marineland explode on me though.

Browncoat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from the cobalt neotherm, they look nice and sleek but when the bottom cracks and takes out your controller and leaks stray voltage... ughhh

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank would be very cold all the time if I didn't run a heater. I had my old glass heater fail on my first tank. When I looked at the digital temp that morning it was 72 degrees. I live in Iowa though not Florida like most of you guys!

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If for some reason your controller goes bad, you will be screwed with a finnex titanium heater.

That's why I like the Eheim heaters with my apex controller. If for some reason my apex were to get stuck on, my eheims are set to 79.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Titanium is better in the sense that it won't accidently brake/Crack. And a controller is recommended, because the built in heat sensors tend to fail.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have read about disasters that have to do with heaters: either malfunctioning and frying a tank or malfunctioning and letting a tank get dangerously cold…..
Any suggestions on a reliable, safe heater that would go in my refugium? one that is reliable and keeps stable temps? I have a total volume of about 100gallons including tank and fuge…. and no I don't have a controller… yet…. but have dosing pumps and programmable LEDs etc so just a matter of time for a controller….. but nevertheless…. which is the bestest of the best?!?!?

thanks!!!

Via aqua is good barbs... Just dint get glass. Titanium are nice.

OP
OP
Z

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi WOW ! thanks everyone (thanks Mike) I got busy yesterday and didn't re check this thread. Then woke up and found it as a FB posting….
great info thanks for sharing!

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had any problems with my Via Aqua Titaniums in over 11 years of use.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than recommend the best heater....I will just recommend two smaller heaters of any make. If one goes bad (either stuck on or off), it won't wipe out your tank. Now if they both go bad at the same time...................

Back