New sump refugium questions

esskii23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm new to this whole refugium filter system stuff and want to know if this is normal or should I change something on the set up. I had a 55 gallon tank that I converted to a refugium filter and the dimensions are 48" long 15" wide 16" tall. I put three chambers the first one is 12" for the inlet coming from my hang on box. Then it goes to the middle chamber which is 23" long for the refugium and live rock. Then goes to the last chamber which is 8 1/2" long for the return. I have 1" pvc going in and out of my filter.
Question 1: why do I have air bubbles every now and then coming from my inlet tubes. That are ran to stop under the water level to quiet it a little bit.
Question 2: I have two ins and two outs but I can only run one pump because when both are on the water level is too low in the return chamber. I'm using the 1200 rio pumps and I don't know if one is enough to handle my tank which is a 130 gallons.
Question 3: my hang on box to feed the refugium is so loud any suggestions on how to quiet it down a bit?

So if anyone has any input on any of these to help me get this system dialed in it be greatly appreciated. Also if you need more detail on something let me know I'm trying to explain this without writing a book. thanks in advance

bbtm64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your return line, right after the pump, I'd suggest adding a shut off valve. That way you can adjust the return flow so it doesn't empty out the chamber. I had to do this.

Try putting a foam block over the intake from your overflow box. It'll help deaden the noise quite a bit.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question 1. Do you have bubble traps set up between each chamber? is your skimmer in your first chamber. Micro bubbles should only be present in your drain/skimmer section. If your drain is below the water line and your skimmer is properly dialed in and you have a proper bubble trap you should not have bubbles in the other chambers of your sump.

Question 2. What type of drain are you running? What is your head height? the Rio 1200 might be a tad small for your tank. You might want to look into a bigger return pump.

Question 3. what type of drain are you running? Your drain may not be keeping up with your pump or visa versa.

post some pics of your set up.

OP
OP
E

esskii23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your return line, right after the pump, I'd suggest adding a shut off valve. That way you can adjust the return flow so it doesn't empty out the chamber. I had to do this.

Try putting a foam block over the intake from your overflow box. It'll help deaden the noise quite a bit.

I put a ball valve on the line but turning that and adjusting it, wouldn't that make the water come in less and lower the water level too?

Also for the overflow box I was looking at the durso standpipe set up do you think that's a good thing to do?

OP
OP
E

esskii23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question 1. Do you have bubble traps set up between each chamber? is your skimmer in your first chamber. Micro bubbles should only be present in your drain/skimmer section. If your drain is below the water line and your skimmer is properly dialed in and you have a proper bubble trap you should not have bubbles in the other chambers of your sump.

Question 2. What type of drain are you running? What is your head height? the Rio 1200 might be a tad small for your tank. You might want to look into a bigger return pump.

Question 3. what type of drain are you running? Your drain may not be keeping up with your pump or visa versa.

post some pics of your set up.

I don't have a skimmer yet. Any good skimmers that I should get for my tank size that won't cost a arm and a leg? Also I do have the bubble trap set up in the system and everything is going good there as there is no bubbles in the other chambers.

My drain is my overflow box going down to the refugium with 1" pvc the whole run. I think its small too but if I get a bigger pump won't that just drain my return chamber faster like it is when I run both rio's?

Also I'll post some pics tomorrow so you guys can see what I'm working with so that way you can give me advice on what to change or do to get this project dialed in and running good so I can add fish after it's cycled.

bbtm64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your return pump is to fast for your drain side it'll suck out most of the water in the return chamber before the water can drain back in and it'll continually suck in air.
Try throttling back some on the value you have on the return line. It took me a few days to get a balanced flow.

I've never used the durso standpipe so I can't say for sure.

rollo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this guys info on outside overflow boxes and his sell for adapters to quiet the noise down. prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank Also check u-tube out on how to make your own device to keep the noise down. I am about to start my first reef tank and started a thread with questions about an overflow. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/new-saltwater-reef-aquariums-post-here/169419-overflow-siphon-box-aqua-lifter-pump-question.html

G
ood luck.

dub3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every person will have their own opinion on skimmers when it comes to the budget friendly brands. So, in my opinion the SCA skimmer is good for the money. Probably needs a good 6"-8" of water to be on point. I think you would need the SCA-302, someone correct me if I'm wrong here. Check amazon or ebay, should run $100-$130ish.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your return pump is to fast for your drain side it'll suck out most of the water in the return chamber before the water can drain back in and it'll continually suck in air.
Try throttling back some on the value you have on the return line. It took me a few days to get a balanced flow.

I've never used the durso standpipe so I can't say for sure.
Agreed. Adding a T vavle off the return pump allows you to dial in the return flow.
How does a sump work? | Melev's Reef

Back