New RO/DI HELP!

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new RO/DI unit and I was wondering if there was anything specific I should do before I put the water in my tank? Or is it as simple as plug it to water, crank it up, and use the RO/DI it produces? Thanks!

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dump out the first few gallons of the RODI water; you should be good to go after that.

OP
OP
Mandrew

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay will do, Thanks! I let it run for a while and just put the clean hose in the sink to let it run already. Ill have a buddy test the TDS for me asap!

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a minimum, remove the DI cartridge and flush RO only water down the drain for the first 3-5 gallons to rinse the membrane and not contaminate the DI resin.

I prefer to rinse each filter individually so it does not foul the next filter downstream. Remove the sediment, carbon block and DI filters. Disconnect the 1/4" line leading from the carbon block up to the RO membrane housing at the RO end and stick this line in the sink or a bucket. Install ONLY the sediment filter and the empty carbon canister, tuen the water on and flush the sediment filter to remove any glues and binders from the manufacturing process for a 3-5 gallons. Next install the carbon block and again flush it to the drain for another 3-5 gallons to remove any carbon fines or dust. Reconnect the 1/4" line to the RO membrane and make 3-5 gallons of RO only water, monitoring the TDS until it reaches its lowest point, probably 98% lower than the tap water TDS. Finally install the DI filter and send an additional gallon or so down the drain until your final TDS reaches 0 and you are ready to make water.

You repeat this process every time you change filters and disinfect the system at the same time to keep it operable.

OP
OP
Mandrew

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah... That's a process haha. I've already ran the whole thing a while now I just have to check the TDS of the clean water. Gonna have it checked today. Thanks!

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to check all three TDS points, tap water, RO only water before the DI and final RO/DI water. You need all three numbers to know how the system is working.
You will want to invest $20-$25 in a handheld TDS meter as this is the only tool you will have to gauge RO and DI conditions and when to replace the DI resin.

OP
OP
Mandrew

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna order a digital one that is in line, with two check points. One before DI and one after DI.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do that.
I have posted the drawbacks of the inlines many times here on R2R.
For one they lack the accuracy of a handheld in the same price range and another is they are dedicated to two places and you need three TDS readings for a RO/DI not two. They cannot be used portable so you will still need a handheld to test the tap water TDS and the TDS of your top off water.
Inlines are not temperature compensated, they sense air temperature not water temperature like they should be doing and like a $20-$25 handheld does.

OP
OP
Mandrew

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then... maybe ill order a hand held one hah! Mr. Saltwater tank uses an inline >.<

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you I have two of the dual inline meters and never even turn them on anymore, they never agree with either of my calibrated hand held meters. Unless the air temperature abd water temperature are exactly the same they will never be quite accurate and can be significantly off when the air and water differ a lot. Plus you would either need the new three probe inline meter or two of the dual inlines to monitor the points you need to monitor and still be inaccurate. The same company, HM Digital makes the most popular handhelds at for about the same $$ or less. Check out the TDS-3, TDS-4TM or AP-1, all are ATC compensated, 2% accurate, can be calibrated easily and have built in digtal thermometers so serve dual purpose.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back