Do you purchase your water or make it yourself?

darrente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been flip flopping for about two months now, do I purchase a RO/DI system or not? I keep hearing about how you never know what you are getting when you buy water from a store. However, the equipment in the stores seems to be much higher quality than I can purchase and afford... Can you make good water cheap? I would truly appreciate feedback.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have?

I have a 55, 40, and 4 gallon. I used to use distilled water and used it with no issues. Once I bought a house, I bought a used RODI unit. I have no regrets with making it myself. It is much cheaper and I test the water myself.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy an RO/DI and make it yourself. A good 5 stage RO/DI makes 0 TDS water as that's as good as it can get. There is no store that has equipment better than that and most neglect to change filters, membranes and resins and sell less than perfect water. Plus not having to lug jugs and buckets back and forth is a huge bonus. RO/DI unit is the best investment for your reef.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to buy water and it never struck me as that much of a pain in the rear. That is, until I bought a rodi unit. Would never go back. Once or twice a month I make about 30 gal of water. Done deal!

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It pays for itself! Saves your back and gas money... also money everytime you go to buy something, always gotta get that something at the LFS!

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% buy an ro/di. I couldn't imagine having to run to buy water and moving buckets all over the place. It has easily been one of the best buys I have made in gear..

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy an RO/DI and make it yourself. A good 5 stage RO/DI makes 0 TDS water as that's as good as it can get. There is no store that has equipment better than that and most neglect to change filters, membranes and resins and sell less than perfect water. Plus not having to lug jugs and buckets back and forth is a huge bonus. RO/DI unit is the best investment for your reef.

+1 head over to bulk reef supply and get yourself an RODI. Even a value system will serve you well. On the list of equipment to buy for a reef (other than the obvious tank), a RODI is always #1 on my list.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up a BRS RODI unit and get a float valve for the $8-10. Best investment in this hobby IMO. I love having easy access to freshly made water that I change the filters on. The only issue is I am thinking about switching out away from Brute cans for my containers but thats a different discussion.

Like many have said, a unit pays for itself. Even if you only pick up 5 gallons a week at .50 cents a gallon. You are spending 2.50 a week at 52 weeks is $130. Never mind the inconvenience and gas spent to go there. ( and excess cost of any spontaneous buys from visiting the store ) The reality of it too is most people use much more than 5 gallons a week.

tank of gems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'd best to make your own water so you know how long your filters di etc have been in use or when it needs to be changed and you can make your own water when needed etc.

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have to buy It. I have very bad well water & not nearly enough water pressure.

pbrano97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do half and half...only a 24 gallon so it's not too bad but all sea water would be really expensive especially with a larger tank

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure builds the best reef quality RO/DI systems available period. NO other vendor specially treats and tests their RO membranes nor custom blends all their own DI resins for reef specific duty. There really is a difference. You can have one for as low as $125 directly from Spectrapure or places like Premium Aquatics and Marine Depot have Spectrapure systems on sale all the time and often with free shipping. You won't regret it. Having ultimate control over your water quality is very important and gives you peace of mind.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure 100% if u can afford it make your own. I want to be sure that if there's something wrong with my tank it's gonna be my fault. :) or get water from a place u 100% trust.

Latinreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to make our own and it will be cheaper in the long run. LFS stretch their filters and I can assure you if you tested the water before it went into your tank that you just picked up from the LFS you wouldn't be happy with the TDS levels. This is what made me go to rodi set up. I run a 7 stage system and love it, water quality is so important in this hobby mainly if you have an sps tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back