Equipment HELP for new tank build

richnbowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently given a 190 gallon, 60"x30"X25" aquarium. It was a commercial tank for the kitchens at a hotel in Miami Beach. Maybe not the best display tank as the glass is 11/16†thick but for the cost of dinner for friends that helped me move it, it is worth it. The tank will be a mixed reef with fish. It currently has two overflows and I believe 1 inch drains and returns, still have to measure them, and I am going to use 3 vortex MP40’s, of which I need to purchase 1 more, for flow. I do however need everything else. I am trying to save money if I can but I do not want to skimp on good equipment. I am going to have a Neptune Apex running the system and build the stand and canopy myself, hopefully I will do a good job, as it will be a first time build for these items. I will also be using dead rock, trying to see if I can pick out the rock from Marco Rocks as they are located close to me.

First, I was looking at placing a Tsunami Sump to start, 48â€x20â€x18â€. It is hard to find info about them but the link will show you the look. I am not sure about the size of the compartments but I did inquire about the compartment size. I do like the fact that it has the filter sock compartment, especially the way it was setup, a skimmer compartment and a refugium. The price is ok too. If you know of a possible better one I would love to hear your input.

Next the protein skimmer I was looking at was a Reef Octopus Elite-200INT Internal Protein Skimmer. It just came out recently and it appears the build is of good quality however; this is the first year it is out. I would love a vertex or bubble king but those are way expensive for everything else I need to purchase. I was also looking on ebay for a good used one with no good results.

I was thinking about placing an Eheim compact plus pump 5000 as a return pump, for which it will be hard plumbed. I think the return is 1 inch, but like I said earlier I need to measure it. Also the lights are driving me crazy. I would like an LED system to not heat the water so much. I don’t know if I should build it myself with 3-watt LEDs or multichip LEDs or if I should just buy like a radion or an onyx from rapid LED.

I want to thank you guys in advance, I just keep looking at more and more info and it is getting a little over whelming. I am at a point I am not 100% on what I should purchase. Your input will help me greatly.

TitansFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya! Aaaahhh the fun of a new build I am asking myself many of the questions you are. Looking at that sump you posted I'm curious on the skimmer portion size. If doing an in sump skimmer with a quick glance it doesn't look to be much room. I am planning to reach out to synergy for my sump. Synergy Reef Systems

For lighting maybe also look at kessils. My local LFS has a display with them and the color and shimmer is amazing.

Saving money and getting good equipment in the reef world sounds like an oxymoron to me. ;)

Everyone has their own method and opinion in this hobby which makes it great. I for one think the rock is the most important. Everyone jumps on dry rock. I though prefer a good ole cycle of live rock. Rock is our biggest filtration really and we all look togo cheap there... In a real world reef you have water volume and live rock for the major filtration. Go big with volume and good rock is my plan.

OP
OP
richnbowl

richnbowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I agree the skimmer portion size may not possibly be that large. I think it is right at 11" but I am waiting for the company to write me on the skimmer portion size. I also did write Synergy Reef Systems to see what a custom sump would be. I do like their builds as I was able to meet them last year at MACNA.

I was looking at the Kessil lights, but when I started talking to individuals at my local reef chapter. They say that the Kessils do work but the growth was not there. They started telling me about dream chips and that the added greens, reds, UV and different whites are better. I do like the punch that the dream chips and Kessils provide but want the growth as I have invested a good amount for corals.

Yes, saving money is difficult in the reefing world but you have to look for the bargains. If the Reef Octopus Elite-200INT Internal Protein Skimmer is similar to a Vertex or Bubble King you have the potential to save $300 to $600 bucks. Plus 10% here and there goes a long way.

I do agree with the rock but seeding dry rock correctly has the same potential as purchasing live rock. Marco Rocks also muriatic acid dips there rock to release the phosphates inside it.

Thanks for the post and I am hoping for more opinions, but it appears that many people maybe at MACNA 2014, LUCKY.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back