Here's an easy game to play. Here's an easy thing to say...

ISR Jimmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"New socks. Two socks. Who's socks. Sue's socks. Who sews whose socks. Sue sews Sue's socks. Who sees who sew whose new socks, sir?"

Dr. Sues "A Fox in Socks" aside... are socks required for a sump / refugium? What purpose do they provide? Is it safe to run a sump without a sock? Is there risk to the pump?

Thanks

James

Sent from my iPad using REEF2REEF

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey James,

Good question. Filter socks are not needed. I've never used them.

Pros:
Filters out excess food that is not eaten by fish.
Helps keep nitrate and phosphate in check if you are able to clean the socks on a regular basis. You can remove the excess food and prevent further decomposition into phosphate and nitrate
Excess food will not clog pump intakes
Cons
Filters out excess food that is not eaten by corals. You may want some of the coral food to recirculate in your system. Its entirely based on micron sizes of food and your socks. Even the smaller micron size food will be trapped in your socks if other particulate matter is allowed to build up.
Helps keep nitrate and phosphate low. In some cases, you may want a dirtier tank. Having a tank that is too clean can cause issues

For me, I have quite a bit of coral in my sump, so I like the excess food recirculating in my system. I also have a clean up crew in my sump that eats any leftovers not consumed by the coral. The one issue I do have is the clogging of my pump intakes. My Calcium reactor feed pump needs to be cleaned regularly.

Hope this helps!

James

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back