phosban 150 noise

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i bought a Maxijet 600 and a Phosban 150 for the tank. when i hooked them up together, there's a noise coming from the pump. i then tested the pump by removing it from the hose and the noise is gone. it only happens when the connections are made. therefore i conclude that the noise is caused by the backflow of water as the result of the ball valve. does anyone has a similar issue? how should i approach this issue?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Install a T off line to relieve the pressure.

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back pressure on pump causing your noise

right, I understand that. but how come others are not having the same issue, or do they?

what's the proper pump for the reactor? I followed the recommendation of others. therefore something is different between my setup and those of others

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly just something tolerance wise with the pump you received or unnoticed by others? Your putting more back pressure than others on the pump? A lot of variables. Can you see about switching pump from supplier?

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly just something tolerance wise with the pump you received or unnoticed by others? Your putting more back pressure than others on the pump? A lot of variables. Can you see about switching pump from supplier?

so I have tried Minijet 404, Maxijet 600, and Rio 600, and one other misc pump. all of them gave me rattle noises

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you may have more than normal back pressure? I wonder if someone else who has one can chime in compare your installations etc.

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mj1200 to feed bio reactor and skimmer and no matter how much bp I put on it never any noise.

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just for reference purpose, the reactor is hung on the back of a 40B. so the most that the pump has to push is ~16inches

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the ball valve

this is Maxijet 600 with the barbed tee. FWIW, the koralia and the Maxijet are not touching each other, they just appear this way in the pic

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the tee it makes the same noise or did this resolve the problem. Tank size? Are you running less media as to close valve more as to adjust in properly?

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the tee it makes the same noise or did this resolve the problem. Tank size? Are you running less media as to close valve more as to adjust in properly?

tee solved the issue but it's an eye sore. i would've left it like this if i had a sump. the 40B is my main tank. it doesn't have a sump. i'm running the recommended amount (~1/2 cup of bulk GFO) for a tank that's got ~35gal of total volume of water.

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that may be the problem. Running a 1/2 cup is not very much in turn your putting more back pressure on the pump trying not to sand storm the gfo. A tee is your best option. If possible try hiding some of the plumbing and tee behind rockwork or glue zoas or coral to it to help blend in?

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that may be the problem. Running a 1/2 cup is not very much in turn your putting more back pressure on the pump trying not to sand storm the gfo. A tee is your best option. If possible try hiding some of the plumbing and tee behind rockwork or glue zoas or coral to it to help blend in?

so are you saying that i should put more GFO in the reactor? i thought more GFO will cause burn tips on the sps corals.

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, only recommended. Less at first in some cases to prevent sudden expulsion of po4. Your tank size is smaller than most that use that size reactor in turn your using less gfo. That causes you to use less pump pressure to tumble it. A smaller pump is what you need. Or keep what you have working and hide it.

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have same reactor and run a RIO 600 and it's as quiet as a mouse, no noise what so ever.

Sorry ur having prob......hopefully you get it worked out..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back