Led (radion) / t5 combos. Who's got em?

stlcard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So who's got the leds and t5? I wanna see your setup and tank.

What kind of results are you getting? Glad you added t5 back to the mix?

I've got radions and I'm so so on them. I loved my t5s. I can't decide if I ditch led altogether or do a mix? I'm going to try a mix first.

Anyway, show off those led /t5 combos please!

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am feeling the same way about my LEDs . I am not getting the same growth as my old 4 bulb t5 fixture. The only trouble is my LED is all programmable and a pretty large piece of a equipment. Adding T5s to it would be pretty difficult to keep over the tank.

Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my radions, I added two t5s to the tank but it did t seem to help too much in the long run.

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im adding 4 80w bulbs to my gen3 radions. Im going with 2x blue plus, 2x coral plus.

the plan is to run 12-14k with the bulbs and then blast blues and uv on the radions......

OP
OP
stlcard

stlcard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im adding 4 80w bulbs to my gen3 radions. Im going with 2x blue plus, 2x coral plus.

the plan is to run 12-14k with the bulbs and then blast blues and uv on the radions......

So you sorta want the t5 to be the primary source and radions the secondary or supplement? No whites or greens running on the radions?

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is the plan for me. i might run the whites at 10 to 15% just to get some shimmer but not relying on for growth.....

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon breeder and use the new gen3 pro radion(1) on the "radiant" setting at 50% output (with the whites turned down to 15% at peak output time), I recent decided to break out my 4 bulb t5 set up and added it to an old hood I retrofitted to go along with the radion. It seems overkill but I have all the lights about 12" off the water surface and only run the t5's for 4 hours a day (2 pm-6pm). Since I added the t5 to compliment the radion all my corals have responded excellent. My acros and zoas colors are popping and the polyps extensions on my acros are better than ever before. The radion is a bit** to get dialed in so it's takes some time and some tweeting to find out what your tanks needs are gona be. Add the t5 and don't look back bro-your corals will thank you-lol

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's ur bulb combination. Also on the whites. Is 15 the max for the whites. Or do they increase after the bulbs turn off

Last edited:

Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just read on reefbuilders of a t5 unit that you can put whatever led unit you have in. It looks sleek and I'd buy it.

OP
OP
stlcard

stlcard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon breeder and use the new gen3 pro radion(1) on the "radiant" setting at 50% output (with the whites turned down to 15% at peak output time), I recent decided to break out my 4 bulb t5 set up and added it to an old hood I retrofitted to go along with the radion. It seems overkill but I have all the lights about 12" off the water surface and only run the t5's for 4 hours a day (2 pm-6pm). Since I added the t5 to compliment the radion all my corals have responded excellent. My acros and zoas colors are popping and the polyps extensions on my acros are better than ever before. The radion is a bit** to get dialed in so it's takes some time and some tweeting to find out what your tanks needs are gona be. Add the t5 and don't look back bro-your corals will thank you-lol

Haha yeah. I miss the t5. Corals seemed to really put out good color when I had them. I'm down in Orlando this week and of course stopped at WWC. They've got a nice tank up front that's been cruising with t5. Made me get the itch back.

OP
OP
stlcard

stlcard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already going back to ati. Think it's a cool concept though. Maybe not for someone setting up a tank, but rather someone who has been established awhile and just looking for some kind of change such as myself.

60squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you guys "no offence" need to learn how to program your radions my acros have doubled in size and are very colorful in about 8 months

OP
OP
stlcard

stlcard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting great growth. And have great color. I just don't like the look of led anymore. I've seen much better acro tanks on halide or t5. I have yet to see a legitimately nice tank that's been grown out from frags to colonies purely on led. Soon enough those tanks will show their face I'm sure. But for now I'm ditching the radions. Just been pain in the *** to deal with. Color, programming (after it came back from warranty work) and the nonsense of having almost too much spectrum control.

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you guys "no offence" need to learn how to program your radions my acros have doubled in size and are very colorful in about 8 months

Always interested. What's ur dimensions and percentages and depth from top

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hung 2 gen 3radions
In addition to my 2 250w mh
I'm happy with them just gotta program the LEDs but the 2 250 just wasn't enough light and I don't have a chiller so more mh was outta the question I'll keep u guys posted with how it goes I'm happy with the look though

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back