Regarding my ZeroEdge 7 36" sump, two inlets, one for overflows and one turned into protein skimmer?

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know if anyone has turned the Zero Edge 7 36" sump that has two inlets, I have one connected to my 2 overflows and the other is open and has bubbles/foam coming out of it. Has anyone attached a collection cup from a protein skimmer to it before? I was thinking about trying to connect a skimmer cup to it. I'll add a photo when I can get one.

Series 7 36 Single Sock Sump

dark8nge1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea about your question but it's interesting that ZeroEdge copied Building An Obsessions design and then decided to charge more for than the original.

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say that I've ever heard of Building AN Obession LLC. How long have they been around? Their site doesn't show a date or year of beginning of manufacturing.

UrbanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time I heard of Building An Obsession was a couple years ago. Zero edge has been around longer but I only thought they made tanks. I didn't realize that they were still around. Last I heard about them was when they used D2mini's famous cube tank on thier site and claimed it as their own haha. Oops like people weren't going to notice that one. I don't remember them having sumps on the site then so I think the series 7 is pretty recent. Either way pretty cool design, the orange is a bit overbearing for me.

I always liked their tanks like the ORA one they use at shows. There were tons of the zero edge style at macna. Didnt have their brand on them though so not sure who made them.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only so many ways to make a sump.

Plus, both look similar to trigger systems sumps.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know if anyone has turned the Zero Edge 7 36" sump that has two inlets, I have one connected to my 2 overflows and the other is open and has bubbles/foam coming out of it. Has anyone attached a collection cup from a protein skimmer to it before? I was thinking about trying to connect a skimmer cup to it. I'll add a photo when I can get one.

Series 7 36 Single Sock Sump

Confused on what you mean --- are you referring to the drain line of your skimmer cup? Wouldn't want that liquid going back into the sump.

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope not the drain line. There are two spots where I can have the overflows of the Display Tank to drain into the sump. I'm only using one. The second one is not being used. The second one has foam coming up out of it. So I used a threaded pvc fitting and about a two inch pvc pipe up and a 90 degree fitting that empties into a 5 gallon bucket. I wouldn't drain the skimmer cup back into the sump or aquarium.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes more sense.

How do you have your overflow (( from your tank )) plumbed? Seems like you are bringing a lot of air down with the water.

I would be a bit concerned (( depending on how much water is coming out of it )), about changes in salinity/SG and losing a lot of water if things get crazy.

Does your tank have dual overflows?

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has dual corner overflows, with air holes at the top. 1" bulkheads for the 2 overflows and 2 returns. From the sump bulkhead is a 1.5" to the return pump then 1.5" from the return pump and just before the bulkhead about 4" worth it is converted to a 1" into the bulkheads for the returns.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back