UV Sterilizers to use on a reef tank or not to use on a reef tank that is the question???

kingclam52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say to use a UV on a reef tank others say don't waste your money what is your take on this would like to hear from you.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are threads galore on this topic. Just do a google search and you'll get every answer you can dream of, lol. I think they are useful when sized correctly. Most people get one too small to really do any good. If sized right they can help control ich outbreaks in the tank by killing any free floating parasite that passes through the UV. It will never rid your tank of ich but can lessen the impact. If you use proper fish QT procedures than this really isn't an issue anyway. The other thing they can do is kill any free floating algae in the tank. This is what I use mine for and there is a noticeable difference when I use my UV and when I don't. If I have it off for a couple weeks the algae on the glass grows a lot quicker.

Tjohnson8057

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have one but I feel like there's a lot of things I'd get for my tank before I'd spent the money to get one just my 2 cents

natalie.ohare27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was recommended to us to have a uv in our 75 gal reef tank but others said to hold off. I have some on order because we received a fish with ich and being new to the hobby with a sullied who assured us quality we put it in our tank. Initially I freaked out when my tangs got the ich. But with all the corals in the tank the ich was slow going. I fed my tangs some seaweed I soaked in garlic and they are just about all better. I haven't seen any other sick fish and my cleaner shrimp took all the parasites off my initially sick fish so I'm not going to use the uv for now. Most of what people have recommend to me is make sure the fish are stressed as little as possible and the corals will eat the pods and prevent outbreak.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parasite is beneath the surface of the skin, cleaner shrimp cannot get to them. The fact that you are no longer seeing ICH on your fish, means the adults have dropped off into your substrate/rock in order to lay eggs. They then become free swimming again looking for a host. The eggs hatch within 7 days where they too become free swimming looking for a host. Thus is the ever continuing cycle of ICH.
Only way to permanently eradicate the parasite is to QT all fish, treat with a copper based med or hypo salinity. Then allow your tank to fallow for at least 12wks. Actually length of time is very much up for debate. Some experts believe that it can take up to 11 months for the parasite to actually starve out in a fish-less system.
Keeping your fish well fed and free of stress certainly does help, but only so they are less effected by the parasite that's feeding on them. Some fish no matter what cannot handle it. Too it depends on how many parasites are actually feeding on the fish.

natalie.ohare27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you treat slick skinned fish like tangs and a foxface. I keep hearing that they can't have copper treatments. Fresh water dips?

natalie.ohare27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently building a large system with 4 tanks running off a refugium, but each can be isolated since I'm using mini submersible filters I replaced the carbon with crushed coral so I only kill a small glass bottom tank bio filter instead of my whole system. I plan to treat my fish while the tank is running off the mini filter. Water changes as needed then drain and clean the tank, replace the filter insert and refill and reintegration into the multi system. I wanted to have hospital tanks ready to go since we had an ich outbreak. Right now my refugium is stand alone, building it's bacteria the chromis goes in shortly there after

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back