Durso Standpipe Flow Help

blackz151

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80 gal DB rimless with a 50 gal sump. It seems like I can not get it just right. Im still getting a whole bunch of bubbles in the sock and it keep bubbling over. The over flow into the sump is pretty loud as well.

I have 3 1/4 holes in the cap and I placed regular ro line in them and it made it much quieter like williewilliams said it would. But I still get some flushing out of the over flow not crazy about 1/2 inch or so.

Do I still have to much flow? Isnt 3 1/4 holes a little much?

The over flow is a Durso stand pipe with 1 1/4 pipe into a 1 inch bulk head down though 1 inch pipe though a ball valve which is wide open into the sock. The whole pipe from bulk head to sump is only about 14 inches if that.

The Return pump is a eheim 900 GPD that I have turned about half way down with a gate valve. Is this to much flow still?

Should I try to close it down even more and then just use the power heads to make the flow

Any input would help I'm fresh out of ideas now.
smash_ani.gif
:frusty::frusty:

IMG_1721.jpg
here is a picture so everyone can see the setup.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with a durso you should have a second upside down durso below water line in the sump. If you cant do that add enough pvc to the drain so it is below the water line in the sump.

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I fine tuned my dursos. I would install them and keep drilling a larger hole in the cap until it stopped flushing. Mine have always been super quiet no matter the flow or how far the water had to travel to hit the sump. I never have added RO line, added another durso in the sump or had to add PVC to extend the drain below the water line. I build mine the way you built yours and always make them long enough so that they are as tall as the O/F. I do this so the water doesn't fall far into the O/F and create any more noise than needed. Good Luck

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the Ken Stockman version of the Durso standpipe found on the Durso site. It has several advantages over the regular Durso including better protection from snails and debris plus much quieter when set up properly. I am using a single 1" Stockman as an overflow with a Water Blaster HY-5000 return pump running wide open with zero noise or bubbles.
There is also a ready made version of the Stockman called a Maggie Muffler but I did not find it as quiet or flow as well as the DIY version using a couple $$ in PVC parts.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the overflow into the sump submerged completely. I have a barbed nipple screwed into the bottom of the bulkhead with a piece of vinyl reinforced tubing on it bent into a long gradual sweep or elbow so it lays along the bottom of the sump with no restrictions. I won't use socks, sponges or filter foams since they trap the good along with the bad and can quickly become nitrate factories, the reef is close to 11 years old now and never filtered the overflow with no problems.

OP
OP
B

blackz151

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the Ken Stockman version of the Durso standpipe found on the Durso site. It has several advantages over the regular Durso including better protection from snails and debris plus much quieter when set up properly. I am using a single 1" Stockman as an overflow with a Water Blaster HY-5000 return pump running wide open with zero noise or bubbles.
There is also a ready made version of the Stockman called a Maggie Muffler but I did not find it as quiet or flow as well as the DIY version using a couple $$ in PVC parts.

I will look this up for sure

OP
OP
B

blackz151

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it to quite down allot. Now pretty much the only noise I have is the water moving in the pipes. Which should go away with time since its all brand new piping. Thanks Allot of all the help I was prett much at the end of my rope

OP
OP
B

blackz151

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised the pipe a little bit to pull the water up in the over flow.

T828k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I fine tuned my dursos. I would install them and keep drilling a larger hole in the cap until it stopped flushing. Mine have always been super quiet no matter the flow or how far the water had to travel to hit the sump. I never have added RO line, added another durso in the sump or had to add PVC to extend the drain below the water line. I build mine the way you built yours and always make them long enough so that they are as tall as the O/F. I do this so the water doesn't fall far into the O/F and create any more noise than needed. Good Luck
I know this is an old thread but did you make the top of the "u" on the drain level with the bottom of the slots on the weir? Mine sits about 1 to 2 inches below and the only way I don't get the flushing effect is if I turn my return pump to a little less than half which then barely flows over through the weir.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back