Help choose a metal halide pendent for...

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me out with choosing a MH pendant for a 48*24*12H SPS GROWOUT tank .

My mind is all over the place with bulbs and certain type of wattage to choose from. As well as the different type of pendants . I want a good fixture . I no there is allot of cheep ones out there but don't no what good one to choose from nor do I know all of the good ones lol PLEASE HLP ME OUT!! It's time for the METAL HALIDE EXPERTS TO COME OUT AS WELL The people who are growing frags under MH. In there shallow reefs.

Any advice and criticism is welcomed . Would love to hear every choice possible , as well as how high should I hang them of the waters edge and what wattage to get racks will be at the bottom of the tank so. Frags will be sitting 7-8" below the surface of the water .

Thanks so much and if I'm in the wrong place please move to correct thread . Need as much help as I can get before I start getting grey hair at the age of 22 !!!!!

Not worried about the price too muc as long as it's a good fixture and no t a bad one

Last edited:

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lumen max reflector, m80 ballast and radium bulb, done.

If you don't want an m80 ballast get a hqi ballast to run the radium

OP
OP
R

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you shoot me a link to it please?! Thanks hybrid. Also how high should I hang this type of pendent.? Also do they have mogul ones?

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with moguls. A Radium 250 watt or 400 watt what ever best suits your need running off a Galaxy or Lumatek e-ballast. Most reflectors in the industry are pretty good these days. Supplemental lighting I'd go with T-5's even though I am going to venture in to LED's just for the supplemental light only. Keep your bulbs fresh!! Id hang the lights about 12" off the top of the water.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you shoot me a link to it please?! Thanks hybrid. Also how high should I hang this type of pendent.? Also do they have mogul ones?

Well unfortunately the lumen Manx reflector has been discontinued. So the only way to get one is second hand. But another good reflector is this one:

http://www.marinedepot.com/CoralVue...Reflectors-CoralVue-CV1351-FILTACRAMH-vi.html

I run these with 250w radiums on galaxy select a watt ballasts on hqi. But again, those ballasts are also discontinued I believe as well. But lumatek still makes a similar ballast and aqua medic still makes an m80 ballast.

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought Hamilton Cayman Sun fixtures for my 180...haven't set them up yet, but they appear to be great quality!

OP
OP
R

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can someone point me into the direction of the Galaxy or Lumatek e-ballast select a watt,

cause im going to be choosing this fixture.

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]20" Lumen Bright Large Metal Halide Reflector 175w 250w 400w with mogul socket[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]would not want to get the wrong ballast i want to be able to switch to the 400W if needed so i do need the select a watt ballast. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]if you can post the links to get these ballast much appreciated .! [/FONT]

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well unfortunately the lumen Manx reflector has been discontinued. So the only way to get one is second hand. But another good reflector is this one:

CoralVue Lumen Bright Reflector

I run these with 250w radiums on galaxy select a watt ballasts on hqi. But again, those ballasts are also discontinued I believe as well. But lumatek still makes a similar ballast and aqua medic still makes an m80 ballast.

Aqua medic stopped making the amazing reeflex magnetics a little while ago:(.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua medic stopped making the amazing reeflex magnetics a little while ago:(.

Yea sadly your correct. I thought they still did. But they still make the hqi ballast.

powdermonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lumenarc...done! Good luck finding them unfortunately. I have an extra but would never part with it.

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think about ice cap 250 ballast for radiums?

Last edited:

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think about ice cap 250 ballast for radiums?

It'll fire the bulb, but it will be underdriven so it'll be bluer than what a radium should be and shorten the life of the bulb as well.

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll fire the bulb, but it will be underdriven so it'll be bluer than what a radium should be and shorten the life of the bulb as well.
Thanks. Where can I buy M80 ballasts these days? They all seem to have gone extinct.
Also, anyone know any store that still sells the Reeflex 250 watt ballasts? that has gone extinct too.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Where can I buy M80 ballasts these days? They all seem to have gone extinct.
Also, anyone know any store that still sells the Reeflex 250 watt ballasts? that has gone extinct too.

M80 ballasts are pretty much gone. Aqua medic was one of the last ones yo make it But they discontinued that ballast a while back. Your best bet is to find a used galaxy or lumatek adjustable ballast that has the hqi or "turbo" setting and use that. That just over drives the bulb to roughly 274w which is what a 250w radium bulb is

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back